Solved! Looking for laptop <4 lbs.,<$500, with dvd

geofelt

Distinguished
I am looking for a reasonably lightweight laptop. My current one is 6 lbs +(IBM T40), and is a bit of a chore to take along when I am travelling.

I know there are netbooks around 3 lbs., but none that I know of have dvd. The reason I want a dvd is because one is required to play civilization-2 2.42. It needs a cd in the C drive to play music. I have yet to figure out a way to use virtual cd's to accomplish this. I find that if I can play the game, wait time in an airport goes by very quickly. If I could play DVD movies, then so much the better. A netbook would be fine, if the SD slot could somehow be made to look like a "C" drive to civ-2.

There are some very light units out there, but the prices are upwards of $1000 which is more than this small application is worth. For civ2, you do not require a strong cpu, lots of hard drive space, or ram. The current 12" display size is adequate, more is not needed.

Any suggestions?

Solution
I think if you really want lightness, you can just buy a netbook like the MSI Wind U210, then get an external optical drive. That way, you have the choice of leaving the external drive in the bag or at home if you really need to be portable, but you'll still have the option of using the optical drive when you need to.

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I think if you really want lightness, you can just buy a netbook like the MSI Wind U210, then get an external optical drive. That way, you have the choice of leaving the external drive in the bag or at home if you really need to be portable, but you'll still have the option of using the optical drive when you need to.

Solution

geofelt

Distinguished

The netbook is what I was thinking of. I like the lenovo S12. However, the objective is to be able to play civ2 2.42 which requires a cd in drive "D". Carrying around an extra piece of equipment is what I want to avoid. Also, The "D" drive seems to be hard coded in the game. That is why I have not been able to use virtual CD software to make it work. XP which is on my T40 does not let you reassign a different letter to the "D" drive. Perhaps with windows-7 it would work. I will have to try that on my desktop.