Solved! Can I use my laptop as a tv monitor?

reedsolar

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I have a Samsung 32" HDTV that just lost its picture, but the sound still works. I plan on fixing it soon, but in the meantime, can I use my laptop to view the missing picture on my tv? How do I set this up?

Solution
You can use a HDTV USB adapter like....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260023

However, it does not have separate cables for sound. I have never used this device.

What I would do in your situation is check your cable box (or whatever device you have connected to the HDTV) to see if you have coaxial out. If so then connect the cable box to both the HDTV as usual (HDMI cable), and a coaxial cable from the box to the above device.

Hopefully the cable box can output to two sources (check with your cable provider / Dish Network or whatever...). Alternatively your cable box may have audio output and your HDTV may have audio inputs. Simply connect the cable box to the device I suggested using coaxial cable and...
You can use a HDTV USB adapter like....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260023

However, it does not have separate cables for sound. I have never used this device.

What I would do in your situation is check your cable box (or whatever device you have connected to the HDTV) to see if you have coaxial out. If so then connect the cable box to both the HDTV as usual (HDMI cable), and a coaxial cable from the box to the above device.

Hopefully the cable box can output to two sources (check with your cable provider / Dish Network or whatever...). Alternatively your cable box may have audio output and your HDTV may have audio inputs. Simply connect the cable box to the device I suggested using coaxial cable and audio cables from the cable box to the HDTV.

The software should allow you to just display the video signal the device is receiving from the cable box rather than having to tune into a channel. Call KWorld customer service and ask if that is the case.

Solution