HDMI, DVI, VGA, S-Video, Composite, Component (Computer to TV)

iLiketoEat

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Hi, I'm just asking about the differences of these. I know that HDMI and DVI uses digital signals and that component uses analog signals. I know that Component RGB is pure video while Composite RYW is one video, 2 sound (Stereo). I just wonder how exactly these work so that I can connect various different types of signals to a TV.

I currently have a laptop with a only a VGA port and stupidly bought a VGA to RCA (Composite) thinking it would work but through research, I found out that they give different types of signals and would need an expensive converter. Now I would just love a greater command of knowledge about these for general knowledge and for the future as problems may come up. I know that direct is best, but how would these types convert to each other? (Such as compatibility)

So far, I just know that HDMI and DVI are compatible, and that DVI and VGA are compatible. From VGA to HDMI, I would have to go from VGA>DVI>HDMI. I also know that VGA is not compatible with Composite cables. Why is this and which are compatible?

Thanks a lot. I know this is asking a lot and I have nothing to compensate but I now very much love this community and hope to learn a lot and even be able to help others in the future. :)

Solution
RCA is a 1 Vp-p composite signal, All the video information is transmitted on 1 cable at a signal level of 1 volt peak to peak.
wsvga/vga seperates the color RGB and the horiz & vert signals (less interference higher bandwidth=better quality)
All the above are analog signals
to convert VGA to RCA the signals have to be combined and can be done passive or active.
The newest standards are digital.
The best way to understand is to search out and review the each of standards in the order of adoption (by year) It can be complicated, confusing, and very technicial and too much to detail here.
Remember that the engineers will try their hardest to make things backwards compatable. And manfacturers will do their best to accomodate needs. For...

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
How about a comparison to sound
RCA= 8 track tape
RGB= cassette
HDMI= CD
VGA is as good as your video card and monitor can deliver.
VGA is video - no sound, HDMI has sound.
I don't understand what you mean by "different types of signals and would need an expensive converter"
"bought a VGA to RCA (Composite) thinking it would work " What problem did you have? VGA to RCA will put video on a tv with RCA inputs. VGA to RGB will put higher quality video on a tv with RGB inputs. HDMI/DVI is the highest.

iLiketoEat

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
VGA to RCA (Composite) does nothing. I've already read another thread on this forum in which multiple people said that a straight VGA to RCA converter wouldn't work except for very few graphics cards because VGA and RCA uses different types of signals and that one would need a VGA to RCA Converter Box to translate the signals usable by the cord/ports/TV.

I'm just wondering which cords are compatible with each other so that I can go with straight conversions instead of converter boxes.

iLiketoEat

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I thought VGA doesn't translate into RCA directly? Or do those wires convert the signals?

My question isn't about finding wires, it's more about learning which signals translate directly. For example DVI and HDMI signals are the same and can be converted directly. I just want to know which can do which. Thanks a lot for the help though. :)

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
RCA is a 1 Vp-p composite signal, All the video information is transmitted on 1 cable at a signal level of 1 volt peak to peak.
wsvga/vga seperates the color RGB and the horiz & vert signals (less interference higher bandwidth=better quality)
All the above are analog signals
to convert VGA to RCA the signals have to be combined and can be done passive or active.
The newest standards are digital.
The best way to understand is to search out and review the each of standards in the order of adoption (by year) It can be complicated, confusing, and very technicial and too much to detail here.
Remember that the engineers will try their hardest to make things backwards compatable. And manfacturers will do their best to accomodate needs. For instance when you buy a video card with a DVI-I output they throw in an adapter that will convert it to SVGA so any monitor you have will connect.

Solution

Fred Doyle

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
One other thing to consider is that if you do not plan to use your home theater often you can choose home theater furniture that isn’t as comfortable or as durable or easy to clean, but keep in mind that this sort of seating may not be worth it in the long run.

Papi_G

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
i got vga to rca and s video cabale coming from my toshiba notebook5 to tv but it doesnt work messed with the` laptop display and general stuff. so i am wondering if an rca adaptar to my dvi-hdt input will be worth me getting

genbowlin

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012