Solved! Best laptop available for 1000 - 1200 US$

andychengdu

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hello there, I'm looking for some advice on which laptop to purchase. So far i've looked at the macbook, macbookpro990, HP pavilion dm-1010TX, DELL 1440, Sony VGN - SR55E, and a couple from asus.

Here is some information about what i'm looking for.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
At least 13"

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Not sure, as high as possible i guess but its not hugely important

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
poratble

5_How much battery life do you need?
3-5 hours max

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
I run music porgrams abelton and serato. Use photoshop(badly). Would like to get into video editing. Listening to music and watching movies

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Apporx 200GB

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Over 3 years

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from.
Not really fussed about who makes it

13_What country do you live in?
China

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
If not a mac then windows 7 is essential. Upgrading mainly because of problems my old laptop had with vista then xp drivers

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
^it's more likely that they created a different model with similar specs for the US/foreign markets. The Sony is by far the better performer. It has a faster CPU and a much better graphics card.

P.S.: GS45 stands for the motherboard used in the laptop. Not really important to you.

lol, Maz. Read the title, bud :D

Out of the ones you listed I like Dell the best. I've, personally, had good luck with them with 2 laptops and 3 desktops. I also can't find specs for either the Sony or the HP that you listed. If you could list them, that would be great.

andychengdu

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
HP Pavilion dm3-1010TX

Windows 7 home basic
Intel core 2 duo SP300 (2.26GHz, 6MB, 1066Mhz)
Intel GS45 (not really sure what that is)
NVIDIA GeForce G 105M/512MB DDR3-800VRAM
2GB DDR3
320GB HD (7200RPM)

Sony VGN-SR55E
windows 7 home basic
Intel core 2 duo P8700 (2.53GHz)
Intel PM45 - Wifi link 5100
320GB HD (5400)
2GB DDR2
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

I done a little digging around and could only find details for both models in Chinese. Is it possible these models were designed solely for the Chinese market?

I would be also interested in any other suggestions anybody has within my price range.

Thanks for your help

Andy

^it's more likely that they created a different model with similar specs for the US/foreign markets. The Sony is by far the better performer. It has a faster CPU and a much better graphics card.

P.S.: GS45 stands for the motherboard used in the laptop. Not really important to you.

Solution