Please help me-I'm so confused

fresh_newbie

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Okay I apologize if this seems dumb but I don't know much about laptops and wireless connections at all. I just got a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows 7 and a Belkin router. Now I set up the wireless internet and everything and it works fine, but then I realized that the desktop internet has been disconnected. I think this is because I have Vonage phone service. In order for the internet on the desktop to work, the ethernet needs to connect the modem and the Vonage device, but in order for the laptop internet to work, the ethernet must connect from the modem to the Belkin router. Therefore, internet can be used only in one computer at a time, and then wires must be rewired and started over. I'm so frustrated, please help me!

Solution
Thanks so much for your replies but I finally got it to work. I was playing around with the wires, and it finally worked when I took out the blue ethernet cable out of my modem and plugged it in the wireless router and the yellow ethernet from the wireless router to the modem. Thanks again!

fresh_newbie

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
It has quite a few but the thing is that the ethernet must connect from the modem to the Vonage device for the desktop internet to work. There's one port on the modem and one port on the Vonage device for the ethernet, but right now that port is empty because the ethernet is connected to my laptop. I hope this is clear and hope someone can help me.

Thanks for your reply.

frozenlead

Distinguished
All you need to do is connect the Vonage box and your desktop to the extra router ports, and connect the router's uplink port to your modem. You may need to reset some settings in your router to allow the Vonage device to get through the router's firewall.

The easier way around this is to simply get a small hub and split the connection between your modem and your Vonage box.

fresh_newbie

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Thanks so much for your replies but I finally got it to work. I was playing around with the wires, and it finally worked when I took out the blue ethernet cable out of my modem and plugged it in the wireless router and the yellow ethernet from the wireless router to the modem. Thanks again!

Solution