My new LED TV won't let my PS3 do 1080p display, need help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

santi28

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hi people.

I just got a new Philips LED TV (40PFL5605) and every time I try to set my PS3 display to 1080p, it keeps saying "not support".
The manual + salesperson says it fully supports 1080p. I hook up my PS3 with HDMI. Does it have anything to do with this HDCP thing? Some one please help me out, I am so fustrated.

my TV's manual (PDF):
www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/40pfl5605_98/40pfl5605_98_pss_aen.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Well apparently the salesman lied.
Don't get frustrated, it's incompatible. Go back to the salesman and tell him you want a TV that supports the PS3. And tell him to exchange it, or make it work.
Take the PS3 to the sales man and try it in the TV show room.
Tell the salesman to give you your money back.

santi28

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009

Well.... what confuses me is that the manual specifically says it supports 1080p through HDMI. I mean, it's quite a new high-end product so I take it that it should support something as old as a PS3 without any problems and the TV settings is to blame.

anyways, once I get a few more opinions I might take up on your advice and haul my PS3 to the shop then make the sales guy show me how to do it. If he can't, I am returning it and I'll smack him over the head with my PS3 for making me carry this huge piece of sh** to the store.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
OP - were you able to get 1080P with the PS3 on another TV? Are you able to connect another device (upscaling DVD player) that'll do 1080P to your new TV? Is your HDMI cable version 1.3? How long is the HDMI cable?

I have my PS3 connected to a HD plasma TV with a 12' cable, no sweat - 1080P and 36-bit color depth. Avatar on Blu-Ray looks stunning. However I did have to upgrade the PS3 firmware over the PSN first.

I would do that ASAP.

santi28

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009

Unforgetunately, I know very little about these things. I never knew they had more than one versions of the HDMI before I actually bought one.

This is my first PS3, I bought it along with the TV, and sales guy just threw in a random HDMI cable in for me. I threw away the packaging before reading any thing on. was a dumb thing to do.... but it's done.

So., yeah, I never tried my PS3 on another television. or anything else on it for that matter.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
^ Well the first thing to do would be to update your PS3 firmware to the latest version (although if you want to use Linux on it, the latest update disables that). If that doesn't work, then try it on another TV and with another HDMI cable.

How did you have the PS3 connected previously - with the RCA outputs? See if you can get 720P with the PS3 and TV - at least you'll know the PS3's HDMI is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.