Solved! Pc speakers on a HDTV

flyersguy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I was wondering if I can hook up powered PC speakers w/ subwoofer to my 47" HDTV for better sound? I have a y cable and a female to female mini connetor and hook the speakers to the connector and then use the RCA on the other end of my 7' y cable to the HDTV?

Could I get some feedback on that?

Thank You

Richard Jenkins

Solution
Since you already have all the components, might as well give it a shot and see if the sound is greatly improved. A lot of HDTVs have the option on the remote to switch the audio output from the TV speakers to external speakers, so you can do an A/B test. However you also might try just boosting the base to your TV speakers.

For true HD audio, you'll need to see if your TV will output digital audio for HDTV programs. If so, you can connect it to an AV receiver and 5.1 speaker system for superior 5.1 surround sound.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
Since you already have all the components, might as well give it a shot and see if the sound is greatly improved. A lot of HDTVs have the option on the remote to switch the audio output from the TV speakers to external speakers, so you can do an A/B test. However you also might try just boosting the base to your TV speakers.

For true HD audio, you'll need to see if your TV will output digital audio for HDTV programs. If so, you can connect it to an AV receiver and 5.1 speaker system for superior 5.1 surround sound.

Solution

flyersguy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

Hello. I spoke with Sharp today and there is an audio L R. Rhe tech says the speakers will work......or to get a "Sound Bar"

I may wait till I have the money and get complete HD sound system for my set.

Thank You

Richard Jenkins

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
^ That's probably the smarter choice. TV speakers and the cheaper PC speakers are about on the same level - mediocre for the most part, so IMHO it doesn't make a lot of sense to "upgrade" from one to the other.

Going to a decent AV receiver and 5.1 system will be quite noticeably superior, and not just for HDTV programs - Blu-ray, DVD, etc will all benefit. In my setup, I also run my PS3 console through the AV receiver - nothing like playing Monkey Island in 7.1 surround sound! :p

However the PS3 also makes for a decent streaming media receiver, for Netflix movies, Hulu, etc. and all those benefit from the HD audio as well.

flyersguy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
"Could I get some feedback on that?" Turn them loud enough and you might, ho ho.

Hello. I was thinking of getting the Frisby 5.1 Surround Sound Home Audio Speakers Subwoofer. With this system. Here is a part of the ad for the Frisby System.

Frisby FS-5015 device is Dolby Digital DTS AC3 5.1 ready, and has a powerful integrated amplifier with internal power supply, ported Subwoofer, a Center Channel speaker , 2 front and 2 rear Satellite speakers, all with magnetic shielding and wood enclosures. The FS5015 incorporates HQ BASS technology for intense low frequency response and produces full rich bass, powerful midrange and crystal clear highs. The FS5015 features an LCD display and front panel controls for ease of use. A stylish Infrared remote control is included for user convenience. Multiple inputs enable easy connection for either stereo or surround sound devices. With Frisby's 1 year limited warranty ensures your continued satisfaction.

Tell me what you think? I can get one new on Ebay for less then 70.00 and I have Ebays and get it at a lower cost.

Thank You
Richard Jenkins

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006

You mean HDMI 1.4 compliant?

For 1.3, I get 1080p, 36-bit color, automatic audio sync, and so far my PS3 (admittedly a later model that I bought 6 months ago) has played every Blu-Ray I've thrown at it, including Avatar with all the DRM baggage. In fact, I'm on the Return of the King disc of the LOTR BD trilogy. Zero problems, fast-loading (compared to a 1st gen Sony standalone player) and a stunning picture. Even supports the HDMI device control spec so that I can just switch off the TV and both the AV receiver and PS3 also turn off, or turn on the PS3 and the other two turn on.

However I did have to do a firmware update on the PS3 first, but that was quick & easy over PSN.