How can I power studio monitors with my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I want to provide music for a praise and worship gathering, using my Dell E1720 laptop as a source. I think it is integrated motherboard audio (SigmaTel Audio Codec), but it does have a 3.5mm stereo mini jack.

I want to power a pair of Alesis M1A's, which have just dropped 66%, because they are on closeout.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000EJTXZU/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

If I just up-adapter the 3.5mm jack to 1/4" Tip-Ring-Sleeve, and try to drive the M1A's with my sound card, am I going to get good results? Or do I need to put it through some form of a pre-amp first? I have an old Behringer Eurorack MX602A mixer that should do the job. Nothing fancy, but it should work.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MX602A.aspx

I had been looking at a set of Logitech Z520 speakers for my presentation, which I liked because they have a protective metal grill, which is helpful for travel. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Speaker-System-Z520-Black/dp/B002FU5QMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258257591&sr=8-1

Then I saw the M1A's. I know the M1A's, and love them, and while I have not heard the Z520's, I imagine there is going to be no comparison as far as clarity of audio is concerned. I just need to know if either my laptop alone, or my laptop-mixer combination is going to be enough to drive the system.

Also, does anyone know how the JBL Control 2P's are going to compare to the Alesis M1A's? They also have a metal grill, but are not on closeout. Thanks.

Solution
That cable will work fine.

An audio breakout box is basically an external sound card. It can give you more options for hookups and will usually give you better sound due to the "noise" you get with a soundcard inside a computer.

For what you are doing you don't need to have a breakout box or use a mixer. Maybe in the future when you start adding items to the mix, you want to use your mixer. Although having the mixer is nice for quick adjustments for volume etc. Experiment a little and practice with the equipment that you currently own and will get in the future.

Have fun,

the Prisoner

The Alesis M1A's look like decent speakers for the price but I havent heard them so I can't comment on sound quality.

You don't need to put them through a pre-amp first. Since you have the mixer you could try it out. I really don't like using
adapters. I find they can cause some problems, for example sound can be a little scratchy. You can check out a sound card type breakout box that would work as a mixer.

When you say your sound card will be "driving" the speakers it won't be driving the speakers since the sound card has no amp in it, the sound card will just be sending a signal to the speakers. The speakers have a built in amp.

Studio monitors speakers or computer speakers are for "near field" listening, meaning only a few feet away from your ears. If the room is small the Alesis should be fine depending on what you are using them for: for example background music. If you are in a larger room they might not produce enough volume for the space.

You are on the right track on using more of a home stereo type speaker then a computer speaker.

The JBL's looks like a decent choice. I'm leaning towards the bi-amped Alesis for sound quality. It depends on your needs.
A speaker with metal grills is probably a good choice since you will be carrying them around alot.

Their are many different powered speakers available, so check around. PA type speakers that will be rugged and most likely better for medium to larger rooms.

Good luck,

The Prisoner

nazareneisrael

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Thanks. I appreciate the help.

I did not want to miss the sale, so I got the M1A's on the way. They are 70W bi-amplified, and they are pretty gutsy. They wouldn't power a mash-up, but for a praise and worship service with maybe 50-60 people, I am sure they will do great. Then if we get a second workstation, they can go there.

>>You can check out a sound card type breakout box that would work as a mixer.

Um, I'm not sure what you are saying. Do you mean a PCMCIA / PC Card-type sound card? Or what do you mean?

And do you have any recommendations?

Thanks.

That cable will work fine.

An audio breakout box is basically an external sound card. It can give you more options for hookups and will usually give you better sound due to the "noise" you get with a soundcard inside a computer.

For what you are doing you don't need to have a breakout box or use a mixer. Maybe in the future when you start adding items to the mix, you want to use your mixer. Although having the mixer is nice for quick adjustments for volume etc. Experiment a little and practice with the equipment that you currently own and will get in the future.

Have fun,

the Prisoner

Solution
Sorry, I was out of country and didn't have access to any decent internet for awhile. I haven't used presonus products but they look a little expensive for what you are
you are trying to do, but your are on the right track in terms of sending out that audio signal to the speakers. M-audio makes good stuff. You can just google audio breakout box and find many choices.

Like I said, you don't need to go hi-tech for what you are doing but then again it dpends on what you want to do in the future.

Have fun,

the Prisoner

Status
Not open for further replies.