Simple Setup advice

nick05

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Hi to all :)

i wonder if any kind sole out there would be able to take some time to help me setup my pc to tv connection for good blu ray playback ? .....

My specs are:

Graphics cards x2: HD4870 ATI (running xfire)
PC Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 223BW
TV : Samsung LE26R87BD
Graphics drivers: ATI 10.5a
Memory: 4gb Mushkin 1200
MOBO: Gigabyte X48-DS5
PC to TV Connection: HDMI to HDMI lead, DVI to HDMI converter (back of graphics card) to HDMI socket (back of tv)
BLU RAY software: Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 Ultra 3d

PC monitor specs:

Display Screen Size 21.6" Wide
Resolution 1680 x 1050
Brightness 300cd/m²
Contrast Ratio 1000:1 (DC 3000:1)
Response time 5
Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical) 170˚/160˚
Signal Input Connector D-sub, DVI-D
Sync. Signal Separate H/V, Composite , SOG
Video Signal Analog RGB, DVI
Power Power Consumption 50W
Features Plug & Play DDC 2B
Multimedia Speakers No
Special Features DVI(HDCP); MagicBright³; High Glossy Black

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TV Specs:

LCD TV - Samsung LCD TV :
26 inch -
HD ready -
DVB-T HD receiver -
Integrated satellite receiver -
DVD player -
5000 :1 -
Bordeaux -
Black

* BrandSamsung
* Product Description Samsung LE26R87BD - 26" LCD TV
* Product Type LCD TV
* Diagonal Size 26" - widescreen
* Dimensions (WxDxH) 66.6 cm x 21.6 cm x 50.6 cm - with stand
* Weight 9.7 kg
* Colour Black
* Digital Television Certification HD ready
* Resolution 1366 x 768
* Display Format 720p
* Input Video Formats 720p, 1080i, 576i
* Video Interface Component, composite, HDMI, S-Video, SCART
* HDMI Ports Qty 3 port(s)
* PC Interface VGA (HD-15)
* Technology TFT active matrix
* Progressive Scan Yes
* Image Aspect Ratio 16:9
* TV Tuner 1x analogue, 1x digital
* Digital TV Tuner DVB-T
* Analogue TV Tuner PAL, SECAM
* Multi-channel Preview Picture-in-picture (PIP)
* Features Clock, Auto Power Off, parental control, on-screen menu, automatic blue screen, DNIe (Digital Natural Image engine), game mode

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you have probably guessed im a complete noob when it comes to this stuff and have no clue how to set it all up, however i have been watching downloaded movies from pc to tv with no probs on this setup:

windows display set to 1280x1024 @ 75hz (my preferred pc display) and "duplicate these displays" enabled then in ATI CCC i have my tv set to .......

enable GPU scaling checked (have no idea why but this was checked already)
scale image to full size panel checked (to get tv screen to look same as pc monitor)
in this same page CCC is reporting my tv: maximum reported resolution 1920x1080 and maximum reported refresh rate @ 60Hz

this has worked fine with what i believe a very nice picture appearing on my tv, so "why?" i hear you ask, am i asking for help ? well here is my problem:

i recently bought a blu ray player for my pc (Samsung DVDWBD SH-B083L) when i plug my HDMI cable into my pc to watch the movie through tv the disc loads through powerdvd and plays the first few seconds and then gives me an error stating that it will not play due to some sort of copyright issue (my blu-ray movies are all legit brand new dics bought through play.com) but, if i unplug my HDMI cable then run the blu-ray movie on just pc monitor all is fine and dandy which leads me to believe that all is needed is the correct settings in CCC and windows display manager ( i hope :S)

a little more info:

i do game alot and some of my games wont play unless i un-plug the hdmi cable, i have run the BD Adviser tool with HDMI cable unplugged and the advisor reports all hardware/ software fully capable of bu-ray playback with no probs, when i run the advisor with HDMI cable plugged in it reports:
"graphics driver" (8.732.1.0) as a red light (incapable)
"HDCP- compliant Display: No (red light also)

so what im after is some sound advise on setup/ settings and how to and not to :p plzzzzzzzz :D

would be very grateful for your time and help and thank you in advance ;)

Nick.

My guess would be that since your HDTV is not set at it's native resolution, it's not reporting back as an HDCP compliant component. Try setting both displays to their native resolutions and run the adviser again to see if you still get red lights.

-Wolf sends