Color wheel squeaks in samsung hlp4663

extiger45

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
My Samsung HLP4663 has burn out another bulb and more importantly, the color wheel is making a high pitched noise. I am so frustrated with the TV.....so I checked the internet and find this series of DLP tv's by Samsung have a history of poor performance. Does anyone know if Samsung is standing good outside the one year warranty....since so many complaints have been registered with both the limited life of the bulbs and the noise from the color wheel? I have never had any problems with many TVs over our adult lives......Samsung has a great picture, but not worth the headaches I have had, nor the host of others complaining on the internet.

Thanks you for any guidance, Jim Here

mrtired

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
Going through 2 lamps and a color wheel in six years is, well, perfectly normal. Find me a Samsung of this vintage that hasn't had this service history. A Toshiba would be on its second engine by now.

Replacing a color wheel is a ten minute job, with about $125 going into parts. Getting litigious over a mechanical part wearing out (9000 rpm in a high-temp environment x 6 years runtime) - may not solve your problem.

bscott

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Yes, but is going through 2 color wheels in six years normal? I expected to replace the bulb, but not another color wheel. So far the only thing samsung is standing behind is the ISF calibration problem with the light tunnel. I'm hoping to find info that relates the two: color wheel and ISF. That would generate some financial help.

Besides, finding some one who can perform the 10 minute job locally isn't all that easy!

bscott

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010