Ddl/dts vs pro-logic II z-5500

nojagr6869

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
i just ordered the z-5500 and im trying to get the best sound out of them. i have a x-fi xtremegamer sound card and i want to use my digital cord. my main question is should i use the ddl/dts encoder on my sound card or should i let the speakers receiver do the encoding to pro-logic II. from what i understand the encoder on my sound card will compress the 5.1 sound so it fits on the digital cable. im not sure if it is better to send a lossy encoded ddl/dts signal over the digital cord or the regular stereo signal and let the receiver encode it.

Solution
To get 5.1 out of digital, you have to pass through either a Dolby Digital or DTS stream, as uncompressed 5.1 audio is too large to carry over a digital connection. So yes, you either have to have you're sound card encode using DDL/DTS-C, or use pro-loigic on you're Z-5500's to upmix.

I tend to favor DDL/DTS-C. Yes, its lossy, but so is almost every other container format that PC's use anyways, and the majority of the time, you wouldn't notice the diminished quality. Using DDL/DTS-C to stream the actual 5.1 stream as opposed to virtualizing via Pro-Logic tends to give more accurate results as well, especially in FPS gaming (although Pro Logic does very well, all things considered).

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
To get 5.1 out of digital, you have to pass through either a Dolby Digital or DTS stream, as uncompressed 5.1 audio is too large to carry over a digital connection. So yes, you either have to have you're sound card encode using DDL/DTS-C, or use pro-loigic on you're Z-5500's to upmix.

I tend to favor DDL/DTS-C. Yes, its lossy, but so is almost every other container format that PC's use anyways, and the majority of the time, you wouldn't notice the diminished quality. Using DDL/DTS-C to stream the actual 5.1 stream as opposed to virtualizing via Pro-Logic tends to give more accurate results as well, especially in FPS gaming (although Pro Logic does very well, all things considered).

Solution