Use car amplifier in home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick465

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
I have a car amplifier I want to use to amplify my home stereo system. I thought all I would need is an AC adapter to plug in the wall and connect to the amp. Maybe thats too simple (or maybe I am). This is all I want to power. In the car it connects directly to the battery. Is there not an easy way to do this??

THANKS!!!!!

G

Check the amp/watts required to power the amplifier and look for a sturdy regulated 12v power supply that matches that .

If in the US -- Radio Shack may still sell a 12/13v bench PSU which would probably do.

SimonGranstrom

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I am using a transformer http://
The site is in swedish but you should get the idea.
It is powering a JBL 220rms amplifier hooked up to a JBL GTO 1014, and it shakes the windows and cupboards in my home when i crank up the volume.

You will need a LARGE AC adaptor with enough current to power the amp (maybe 5 to 20 amperes). The 12v power supply mentioned is the kind of thing you would need. A transformer alone will not convert ac to dc only reduce the voltage to 12v ac. A PC power supply with 12v rails will work but not be high enough in current to give you full power.

Status
Not open for further replies.