Solved! DVD picture problem with Comcast conversion

frankvan

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Hello, we just got the free set top box from that converts their digital signal to analog for our analog tv sets. That works fine. But the dvd pictures from the dvd player to the tv keep getting diagonal lines and breaking up. The more action in the movie, the more lines and picture fracturing.

Any thoughts on why this is happening and what to do about it?

Frank

Solution

The copy guard output of the DVD player is not compatible with the converter box.
You must hook up the DVD to the TV using a separate path.
If TV has audio video inputs, (RCA jacks) hook the DVD to audio video inputs of the TV with patch cords
select "video" with the TV remote to watch DVD, select TV with the remote to watch TV.
If the TV does not have AV input...

The copy guard output of the DVD player is not compatible with the converter box.
You must hook up the DVD to the TV using a separate path.
If TV has audio video inputs, (RCA jacks) hook the DVD to audio video inputs of the TV with patch cords
select "video" with the TV remote to watch DVD, select TV with the remote to watch TV.
If the TV does not have AV input jacks, use an "A>B" switch to select between the converter and the DVD player...
the TV in that case must be on channel 3.
The AB switch or cables can be purchased at radio shack

Solution

frankvan

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I connected the RCA jacks to the DVD player and to the TV, but all I got was a loud buzz and a snowy picture. If I tried a patch cord, would that make a difference?

I'll have to buy the "A>B" switch to try that connection, but it's not clear to me how that would be set up.

frankvan

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I've decided to go with the suggestion to use an "A>B" switch to solve my problem with the DVD player. Can anyone give me a link to a schematic of the connections in this kind of setup? I haven't found anything that's exactly like the situation of including the Comcast adapter on the web yet.

frankvan

frankvan

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I've made a small change to my approach, and I've solved the problem by using a rf modulator from Radio Shack in the connection scheme. This eliminated the problem with the pictures from the DVD player. So thanks for the suggestions that put me on the right track.

frankvan