Fan on Laptop went out

Mortifix

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I have an HP dv9000 and I recently replaced the motherboard. I noticed that the fan on the cooler stopped working. Before I order a new one I am wondering if there is a way to test the fan with a multimeter to make sure that it is the fan and not the new motherboard I bought. The model number for the fan is KDB05605HB. The only reason I think it might be the motherboard is because the fan was working on the previous motherboard. Thanks for the help.

Solution
I wouldn't just blindly wire a battery to your fan to see if it works. There will be a sticker on the fan which says how much potential it operates on - you can use that (and an external power supply) to test it if it's working correctly.

Your fan is probably dead, though; mechanical parts are far more vulnerable to failure than solid-state electronics. You can try and resurrect it with some compressed air in the motor (and perhaps some WD-40), but it's better just to get a new one.

frozenlead

Distinguished
I wouldn't just blindly wire a battery to your fan to see if it works. There will be a sticker on the fan which says how much potential it operates on - you can use that (and an external power supply) to test it if it's working correctly.

Your fan is probably dead, though; mechanical parts are far more vulnerable to failure than solid-state electronics. You can try and resurrect it with some compressed air in the motor (and perhaps some WD-40), but it's better just to get a new one.

Solution