Best way to connect LCD TV to Laptop

transc3ndus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Hey guys

I just bought a LDC TV made Samsung (full HD, 32") and I want to connect it to my laptop(dell Inspiron 1520, grafic card : Geforce 8800 gt m) but it doesn't have a hdmi output.

What is the best way to connect my TV to my laptop and have a 1920X1080 resolution?

1) a high quality vga cabel (a friend told me that vga dosen't have a resolution limit (theoretically)... it is just up to the cabel and the processing power of the laptop gpu, and it shouldn't have any scaling problems,but it might get lag at high resolutions)[the cheapest solution]

2) from a usb output to usb to hdmi adaptor and then to the TV through hdmi(but I heard that i might get problems with scaling because the native aspect ratio of the laptop is diferent from the aspect ratio of the TV)[a average solution - not that expensive]

3)or from a vga output to a vga to hdmi adaptor with automatic scaling and upscaling from lower resolutions to 1920X1080 [the most expensive solution]

Has anyone exerimented with this kind of connection??? Please help me.
Thank you in advance

frozenlead

Distinguished
The route I would take is to try the VGA-VGA connection first. If you aren't so lucky as to get a good 1080p signal out of the cable, move to the VGA upscaling module. The USB option has a lot of driver dependency and can destroy your USB latencies with other devices.

transc3ndus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

Thanks for the advice ... seems to be the best way to go(from cheap -> expensive)