Solved! PC to Home Theater Receiver

trey21

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I figured one of you experts has tackled this before.

I am trying to hook up my PC to my home theater receiver.

I want to play movies from my PC hard drive and have surround sound through my pre-amp home theater sound processor.

In other words, I want to plug my PC into my stereo like I would a DVD, VCR, etc.

Can I do this through my motherboard's sound card or do I need a separate sound card? I have an ASUS P6TD deluxe motherboard. Would the Line In (light blue) 3.5mm port work?

My sound processor is an old analog with RCA plug inputs. I don't know if it's worth spending the money on a new sound card or buying another sound processor. ASUS claims their Xonar HDAV1.3 will work with what I'm trying to do, but they're $240.

Any info would greatly be appreciated. I have called ASUS several times, and cannot get a straight answer.

Thanks.

Solution

If your Fosgate has only the red and white RCA inputs (composite) then what that person has suggested is the way to go with something like this: ADAPTER. The way that it works is if you look at the mini plug end you will see separations in the plug shaft. The tip is Right audio and will be sent to the RED RCA, the middle ring is Left audio and will be sent to the WHITE RCA, the base of the plug shaft is ground. I could be...

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi trey21,
Need a little information first.
There is no onboard video on an ASUS P6TD deluxe. What video card are you using?
What model of TV will you be sending the video to?
What model of receiver do you have?

Need to know your limitations and options first.
...And no, you cannot use the line in. That is an input for your mobo for things such as a cassette player or other devices that can output a line level analog audio source.

trey21

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I have my video working. I just needed to figure out the sound for my sound processor. I cannot remember the manu or model # off hand, but it's 1gb with two outputs- hdmi.

My present sound processor is an old Fosgate 3A, that has RCA connections- two for each input. Red and White.

Someone told me to come off the Light Green plug with a 3.5mm Y- and run 2 rca to the sound processor, but I don't know how that would seperate the left and right channels though.

Thanks!

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

If your Fosgate has only the red and white RCA inputs (composite) then what that person has suggested is the way to go with something like this: ADAPTER. The way that it works is if you look at the mini plug end you will see separations in the plug shaft. The tip is Right audio and will be sent to the RED RCA, the middle ring is Left audio and will be sent to the WHITE RCA, the base of the plug shaft is ground. I could be wrong in the order as tip may be left, etc but that is how it works.
You should be good to go.

Solution