Tritton AX Pro: Analog vs. USB?

z0rz

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
I was just wondering if there is any significant difference between the 3.5mm input version of the Tritton AX Pro headset vs. the USB input model. The only difference I can see is that the 3.5mm input requires a separate power source, while the USB model gets its power from the USB port. Is there a difference in sound quality with analog 3.5mm vs. USB input? For what it's worth, I have a Creative Labs Audigy 4 sound card: http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=14103

Also, there is a "Dolby Digital" model listed on Newegg that costs ~$60 more than the models listed above. Would this headset be worth getting over the others, considering the price?

Here is a list of the Tritton headsets in question on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010290707%2050001932&name=TRITTON%20Technologies

I'm not 100% set on these Tritton headsets, either. If you have any better suggestions for roughly the same price, please let me know! I will be using these for a combination of gaming and music.

Thanks!

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
1: The USB model requires no plugs, so its the more portable option of the three. That being said, it runs on drivers independent of any sound card, so if you already have a decent soundcard, the analog model will produce better sound quality.

2: The Dolby Digital model comes with a decoder module for Dolby Digital and uses an optical connection to connect to an audio source. (USB is still used for mic). [Note: The decoder module connects to the headphone proper with a 8-pin D-sub connection, so don't buy the more expensive set just for the decoder]. The main downside is two seperate DC plugs, making it a bit more of a wired mess. The main advantage is 5.1 playback [via dolby digital] from consoles. Also, the mic has been tested to work on both the PS3 and 360, which very few headsets support.

z0rz

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
Thanks for the clarification! I recently read that Creative is offering some sort of "hotfix" to allow DDL on Audigy sound cards, so I imagine the Dolby Digital model would not be worth the money for me. And as much as I like the convenience of one USB connection, I would prefer to use my sound card to its full potential. Looks like I'm siding with the analog version!

However, I would like to hear from anyone in regards to this headset or any others in its price range (~$100-150). I like the idea of 5.1 surround sound headphones for gaming, but I would be willing to sacrifice positional audio for pure sound quality if need be since I spend a decent amount of time listening to and producing music. Solid bass output is highly preferred.

Any recommendations?

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Stangely, these probably have the best bass of all the 5.1 headphones I ever tried. Note, I use the dolby version, so this may not be true with the other two (I would expect they are simmilar though). Positioning is good (Tested mostly on Bioshock), L/R was clearly distinguishable at all times.