Looking to buy a 5.1 surround sound gaming headset.

shantech

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Hi,
I currently have a Razer Piranha gaming headset and looking for an upgrade to 5.1 surround sound headset which will be used for gaming purpose (mostly FPS). After checking with the local shops I have the following options to buy: 1) Razer Barracuda HP-1 and 2) Tritton Audio Xtreme 51. I use Xonar Dx 7.1 sound card.
Which one from the above two should I buy? My preference will be the headset with the better clarity and directional audio cues.
TIA.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Personally, I recommend the Tritton AX Pro. Granted, this is an optical setup (as opposed to analog), but you're soundcard can handle Dolby Digital Live, no problem. You also get the benifit of being able to play back dolby signals without relying on software.

I loved the HP-1's when I had them, but personally, I found the bass a bit lacking. Plus, the in-line volume control was a royal pain in the butt. Positioning was spot on though.

Not sure on the Audio Xtreme, although if its like the newer AX Pro, then it would be a fine choice.

Cobykills

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006

Hey Shantech,

What did you end up buying? I am using a Pirahna too and wanted to update so something better. Does your new headphones give you better gunshot sounds then the Pirahna's?

This my thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=6&post=54724&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0