Pioneer receiver shuts off?

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hi there,

I have a Pioneer receiver that shuts off everytime I turn the TV on. After it shuts off, I just turn it on the receiver again and it works fine.

I was wondering if anyone knows the cause of this problem and how to go about fixing it?

Thanks

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Do you turn the TV on with a remote control?

Is it a Pioneer TV too?

Have you tried having the receiver off and seeing if they both turn on at the same time?

es00

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Have exactly same issue with my Pioneer receiver:

TV : Panasonic VIERA TC-P50G25
Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-33

When I turn the TV off - nothing happens, the receiver stays on.
I tried turning the tv on using the tv or receiver remote or directly on tv knob - always same behavior - the receiver goes off.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
kinda weird.

maybe when you turn the television on.. something strange is happening with the inputs/outputs of the television.

if the television and receiver dont have a physical connection, the logical thought would be the remote interfering with the sensor on the receiver.

have you tried covering the receiver and using the remote?
as it is hard to imagine the receiver shutting itself off for safety reasons.
i dont think the television sucks up enough energy to cause a voltage fluctuation at the outlet.

pretty bizarre.
how to go about fixing it might be flipping the circuit breaker and finding an outlet on a different circuit breaker to plug the receiver into.
if that doesnt work.. you are either stuck with the hardware or should consider replacing one of them.
i wouldnt necessarily get rid of either one until i had another receiver to test with.. unless you are really unhappy with the performance of one of the two.

es00

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

anwaypasible, thanks a lot for response!

What do you mean by no physical connection? They connected via HDMI...

I do not think anything related to the remote:
If I change the "Control via HDMI" to OFF (on receiver) it does not shut off.
However, I need it "ON" due to other reasons.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
well that pretty much solves the problem, or at least sheds some light on an easy possibility.

if the television is supposed to talk to the receiver with the HDMI cord.. the television might be programmed annoying.
or maybe a mistake was made.
because maybe, the television was supposed to be programmed to turn the receiver on automatically (and it might be a feature that isnt designed to be shut off)
but
if the 'code' sent to the receiver is wrong.. then that would cause the problem.

the same could be said about the receiver.
if the receiver is programmed wrong, then the 'code' sent by the television is read wrong.. kinda like changing the left and right mouse buttons with software.
wrong function for the input.

and maybe the television isnt supposed to be talking through the HDMI cable, and that it happens is an anomoly from what used to be a normal data handshake.
but
that doesnt seem likely when you said you keep the 'control via HDMI' setting on.
apparently you are using the feature.

who knows, maybe each receiver that has the 'control via hdmi' feature has their own list of codes.
and if the code list is sent to the television wrong, that could be what caused the problem.
but
maybe the television has its own list of codes and the television sent the list to the receiver wrong.

i dont know how it works, and i am simply guessing at some possible scenarios.
if you wanted to blame one of the pieces of hardware, you would probably need to browse the internet for people who have the same problem with either the receiver or the television.

and if you read reports of both pieces of hardware having the same problem, but with different hardware connected, then you would be really confused no?

because maybe it was a 'copy and paste' error of the programmer.
i find it kinda hard to believe that only your television or receiver does it.
because the problem would generally affect quite a few pieces of hardware before the problem was found and corrected.. and by then it was too late because the products were probably already boxed and shipped away.

i would say try finding the opposite function and see if the programming is backwards.. but it isnt at all impossible that only one mistake was made rather than two 'codes' in the opposite placement.

it might be annoying.. but it also might break the receiver from turning on and off more times per day/week/month than it is normally supposed to.
i mean, most receivers have a relay inside that waits while the receiver powers up and initializes.. and if that relay is being 'abused' it might fail early.
i'm sure there is a number of on/off cycles that are expected before the relay fails.. but there is no sense with meeting that expected life cycle early.

although, the point of failure is probably years away.
but it might mean the thing breaks in 4 or 5 years instead of 7 or 8 years.
or
you might get surpised with an early failure, as stranger things have happened.

es00

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
anwaypasible, thanks again;
As you mentioned the bug is probably in either receiver or tv soft, recognizing the code sent by TV incorrectly.
For now I just turned the "viera link" off, meaning stopped sending the codes from the TV. Will think how to deal with it.

There is nothing strange. The receiver has a protect circuit, which senses DC pulses on the input.
When DC is detected, it shuts off to protect the receiver.
When you turn the TV on, it senses the DC pulse on the input. It protects, as it was designed to do. Nothing wrong.
Turn the TV on first, receiver second, or change the design of the receiver.

es00

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
soundguruman,

Thanks for your post.
How do you explain the fact that when I turned the "Viera link" off (the panasonic's HDMI control) the issue disappeared?

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
it will boil down to the same thing.

the television is sending the wrong code
or
the receiver is reading the sent code wrong

every data code is a pulse of electricity.
but
if the pulse of energy is too big, it would then be picked up by a protection circuit.

an example..
if you used bb's or pellets to transfer data, then trying to pass along a marble would be a size difference and the receiver says 'no way!!'
may be a bad example between the size difference.
because the size ratio might be smaller.
but
the principle is quite the same, as it is a voltage reading.
if i sent 1 volt with pulses, it might be recognized as a code.
but if i sent 1.4 volts with pulses, then the receiver's protection circuit might say 'NOTHING more than 1.1 volt... too bad, so sad'
(these numbers are only an example, as i dont know the real voltages.)

i also dont know if the receiver has a protection circuit, the other person might know more than me.
but i find it strange that the television will send a 'power cycle' code when turned on, and the 'power cycle' code doesnt work with the receiver turned off.

so it makes logical sense to say the receiver has a protection circuit to prevent damage from excessive voltage coming in through an input.
because the receiver doesnt turn on when the television turns on, it is like saying the receiver would shut itself off to protect itself from damage.. but since it is already turned off, it simply remains turned off.

could be a real problem with the televisions codes voltage.
but
it could still be a problem with the receiver's threshold value.

really unfair to blame either one without dumping the data from each piece of 'hdmi communication' memory.
a person with experience programming ic chips might be able to help learn which piece of hardware is the real problem.
maybe the receiver is slightly sensitive, and the television is slightly exagerated.. together they are a problem.
funny, because those words could be flipped around.
sensitive capacitors (or insensitive resistors) would lead to slightly more voltage output for each hdmi code.
and
if the receiver was programmed to be really strict to prevent itself from failure, that would be considered an exageration if the programmed value is more than the circuit can handle.
extra care can lead to problems.
over-protective parents cause problems with their children every day.
(maybe some over-protective insurance firms and/or banks too?)

Dumoncer

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hey guys - you're overthinking it. I too, at first, thought it must be a pulse that was causing the receiver circuitry to toggle, but it's not. The Pioneer receiver and the Panasonic TV are the real clues here. When turning off one turns off the other, it comes down to a setting in each:

In the Pioneer HDMI menu, turn off control.

In the Panasonic Viera Link menu, turn off control (both power on and power off).

This will solve the issue. Both are default looking to link to the other, so that if one turns off (or in the Panasonic's case, off or on), it toggles the other.

Cheers
Ryan

Nomman

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Terribly old thread, but I just want to add the solution if you're using a LG TV.
There's a feature called Simplink (last button on the TV remote) which is used to control hardware using the HDMI cable. Turn it off, and your receiver won't turn off with the TV.