Solved! Cost to replace 2nd screen on HD Flat TV HP 32"

Gary_50

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
32" HDTV HP brand...second screen has spider web crack left of middle of the screen. No pic...just vertical colored lines...about half of the screen is
plain white when hooked to cable feed. All other system great. What is
the best move and can the screen be fixed? Or, if i have to replace the
32" inner screen How Much and what cost to get it installed??? The TV is
4 years old Nov. 2006.

gsummers@woh.rr.com

Solution
In general, 4 years old = out of warranty and replacement parts are very expensive and hard to locate.

Considering a new 32" HDTV can be had for $400 -$500 or cheaper it's probably not reasonable to repair the old unit.

If you wanted to try though I would have to suggest taking it to a qualified local electronics repair shop for an estimate.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
In general, 4 years old = out of warranty and replacement parts are very expensive and hard to locate.

Considering a new 32" HDTV can be had for $400 -$500 or cheaper it's probably not reasonable to repair the old unit.

If you wanted to try though I would have to suggest taking it to a qualified local electronics repair shop for an estimate.

Solution

Gary_50

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

thanks for the come back...Pretty much
what I thought as well...

Again thanks for the time and reply.

Gary

Gary_50

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010

Hey Chuck...Thanks for the assistance thus FAR...

Another question... if you don't mind...My hp HD TV with
damaged screen is a 32 inch HP...Will any brand plasma 32"
replacement screen work as a replacement?

I assume that many TVs get hurt in shippment. Is there a
website to tap into to see what's in salvage and at what price?

I am 70...in my day we just did not toss broken stuff...Not when
all other parts work and are in good shape...It's tough to move on
from that up bringing...

Just Not A Part Of America's
Toss and Buy New Society...

Gary
gsummers@woh.rr.com

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Honestly, most outdated monitors/TV's end up being recycled or shipped off to third world/developing nations so there really is no super secret warehouse where millions of old monitors sit gathering dust.

As far as replacing it with any old 32" plasma, I don't know to be sure but I wouldn't expect that to work.

While I agree with you in theory (I am no young'un either), the simple fact of the matter is that it is much cheaper for a company to purchase new parts for new monitors rather then searching out replacement parts for previous models.

If you try and price out the individual components of a monitor, you will find the parts cost is far greater then that of the whole....it's just the nature of the beast (the beast being technology)

Perhaps a local electronics repair firm would be a place to start, maybe they can refer you to some sources or recommend a course of action....sorry I can't be more helpful.

fazers_on_stun

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
FYI, I had a 45" Sharp Aquos HDTV that had a beautiful picture until some 9 months after the 1-yr warranty expired, when it developed a horizontal line of dead pixels across the bottom fourth of the screen. Took it to an authorized Sharp repair shop where they told me Sharp had stopped making replacement parts for it as soon as they discontinued that model, several months before mine went bad, and that no parts were available anywhere at any price.

Luckily I had purchased it using a Visa platinum card, and happened to stumble across a Visa ad on my bank's web site touting the 1-year warranty extension for platinum card holders. So I contacted Visa and got a refund large enough to buy a 46" Sony XBR4 TV, which had an even better picture than the Sharp. Gave the Sharp to my brother who says now he can't stand normal TVs as he is always looking for the horizontal line :D.

Also I'll never buy another Sharp product - if they are that shoddy standing behind their merchandise, they don't deserve my business. But Visa deserves kudos for keeping their word about the free warranty extension - it was sheer luck that I saw their ad and realized it might apply to me.