Serious lag, can't figure out why...

grimorian

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Okay, so... It started a few days ago that my computer began lagging something fierce. I've run anti-viruses, malware removal, even wiped everything out, deleted partitions, and reinstalled Windows XP... Twice. I have no idea what could be causing the lag. It lags when I type, open programs, try to come out of screen saver, pretty much everything. Here's all the spec stuff I saw in the "read before posting" thread... Any help would be appreciated.

Dell Vostro 1000
AMD Turion 64X2 Mobile
2gig ram

frozenlead

Distinguished
I wouldn't use a web site to check your hard disk. It's just a bad idea.

If you don't have one already, the hard disk utilities on the Ultimate Boot CD are invaluable (not to mention everything else on the disk). I would use those. The IBM/Hitachi utility is my favorite.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
This is all good stuff - but there's a solid chance you don't have the correct chipset drivers.

A common problem with running x64 architecture.

Could also be video drivers.

Did you install win xp 64-bit edition?

With a computer of that speed, you may want to consider installing the new windows 7 x64 (download from technet.com).

It is always a good idea to address software issues before you start diagnosing the hardware. Simply because it is easier and sometimes more likely.

How old is the machine?

grimorian

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
It is a few years old, and it worked fine until a week ago, when it started lagging. I thought maybe a virus or malware, but every scan with multiple software's yielded nothing. It's something that happened out of nowhere, I didn't install or change anything before it started happening.

Not sure if it's the 32 or 64 XP, it's whatever came with the machine

PS: it took me like 10 minutes to type this reply out... LoL.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Typically hardware problems crash your machine, or don't let you start up in the first place. Which is why I'm leaning towards it being a software issue.

Have you tried contacting dell?

How about downloading all the correct drivers for this model? You can find the driver download center on dell's site - somewhere near the support section...

grimorian

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Downloaded all drivers, no change. System Idle Process is in the 90's, so there's nothing really being processed. It just lags. I am at a total loss as to what it could be.

grimorian

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
No, it does not lag in safe mode. But, now it's doing it sporadically. It's good for a few seconds and then laggy the next.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
head over to technet.com (owned by Microsoft)

download windows 7 for free, install it, report back.

this should fix 98% of your software issues.

after the 90-day trial expires: if you're a student you can get win 7 pro for $30 - best Microsoft deal I've seen in a while. If not, at least you'll know that your problem can be fixed by an upgrade.

grimorian

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Windows 7 free trial has ended... And why would a slow hard disk cause typing lag as well as the other lag all of a sudden?

grimorian

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Well getting back to software issues, what is essential for me to keep running in msconfig? And just to note, there is nothing but Windows XP Professional on my computer. I deleted everything and reformatted the HDD twice in hopes it would stop the lag and it obviously hasn't.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
1. Run memtest86
2. Technet.com - download the Windows 7 RTM 90-day trial.

This will clear up 90% of issues.

The hardware stuff is all good - but it easiest to address software issues first. As a general rule.