Laptop for Business Use

carver_inc

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Hello, forums! I've been a lurker on Tom's for years but this is my first post, hope I do this right.

1_What is your budget? approx. $1000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? At least 15". More if possible but not necessary.

3_What screen resolution do you want? Doesn't matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement

5_How much battery life do you need? Shouldn't be much of a factor since it will remain stationary most of the time.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? No.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Some photo stuff, but mostly business software. Accounting, scheduling type things.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 250gb would be plenty

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. Any reputable site, Newegg, Best Buy etc..

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 3 years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? CD/DVD, with the ability to burn both types of media.

12_Don't really have a brand preference, but would like to stick with the major ones...HP, Toshiba, Sony, etc

13_What country do you live in? USA

14_ A relative of mine basically needs a good/reliable desktop replacement for her business. It holds their client info, scheduling, billing etc. Its a hair/tanning salon so it doesn't need to be cutting edge. Her desktop went kaput and wants the replacement to be smaller than the current setup. Hope I gave enough information. Appreciate any suggestions/comments.

Solution
Any modern notebook will do. Just make sure you have at least 3GB of RAM and 250GB drive.
The other features are optional and for your liking only -- flash card reader, dvd burner, etc.

If you need specific model...
I personally like Dell so I would recommend Dell Inspiron 15 with Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU or Core2 Duo any speed (not Celeron), 3-4GB of RAM, 250-320GB Hard drive.
or Dell Inspiron 17 if you want something with 17" Screen (but heavier and bulkier).

HappyBison

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Any modern notebook will do. Just make sure you have at least 3GB of RAM and 250GB drive.
The other features are optional and for your liking only -- flash card reader, dvd burner, etc.

If you need specific model...
I personally like Dell so I would recommend Dell Inspiron 15 with Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU or Core2 Duo any speed (not Celeron), 3-4GB of RAM, 250-320GB Hard drive.
or Dell Inspiron 17 if you want something with 17" Screen (but heavier and bulkier).

Solution