Have speakers - what's the right receiver?

kyeyekkarn

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
The question: What's the best receiver for me?

My hodgepodge home theater setup:
-A/V source: PC with DVI -> HDMI and optical audio out
-A Sony VPL-HS60 projector
-2 older large/heavy 2-way floorstanding speakers (12" woofer and tweeter)
-2 slightly smaller 3-way floorstanding speakers
-2 older bookshelf speakers with mid + tweeter

I have no dedicated sub, but the large speakers put out enough low end for now.

My budget is around $200. I can go a bit higher (not above $300), but it needs to be a situation where it's not worth it to spend less. I'm fine with hunting for good used deals (ebay, refurb, whatever) - I'd rather get something that was mid-range 3 years ago than get something entry-level now.

My application: I'm not an audiophile - I'm just looking to utilize the speakers I have to watch movies (that do often have HD sound).

If you have any specific models, or even -types- of models (i.e. 7.1 vs 5.1), it would be very helpful.

I was looking at the HK AVR 247 (http://tinyurl.com/loasoz), but I wasn't sure 50W a channel was really good enough for those speakers.

jimbowne

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
What are the wattage specs on the speakers? Do you have a Blu-ray player to even use hd sound? Do you prefer 7.1 to 5.1 (in your case 7.0 to 5.0)?

Ellisbaudio

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
First understand that there is no such item as a surround sound movie in something called 7.1 it is a name game from the folks that sell this stuff, i.e. if 5.1 is cool 7.1 must be better. In your $200.00 range you need a better reach for the bucks. Here is the game, the older gear is always better. If you can find a used Teac receiver that would be a good option / I see a lot of used Pioneer 3300 5.1 units and they work well.

Also remember that if you can keep the left and right at 6.7 feet on center axis; you do not need a center channel speaker. I would always opt for the best left and right speakers first / the rear channel is not working at the right level in 9 or 10 home theater systems I see. If it was me I go for the Left and right then a good / a real good sub / small with enough power / knowing how long the room is helps as for example a 32 Hz wave is 40 feet long. So unless you room is 40 feet long you will have to use some kind of folded horn to lower the bass.

I hope this helps / buy the best gear you can keep using it in a correct manner and trade up until you get a great system. And do not buy into the New and Different idea or you spend a lot of money on gear you can not use.

Technology for movies is very far behind the audio technology. This helps when you read a review of some magic gear / you must always remember to ask the question "where did they get the parts for this magic ?

Ellis Baxter's Audio
678-480-7840