Extending a audio cable?

dbowlin17

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I am trying to run audio from my TV to my stereo. I have successfully done it from my dvd player to the stereo using the red and white cables from component. is it possible to take a red and white plug, and then open it up, and attatch wires from a cat5 cable on either ends, with the end result being a lengthened cable? I have an extra set of the red and white cables to test it on, as well as significant lengths of cat5 patch cord. I thank you in advance for any advice or help.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Are you trying to extend the cord or tapping on an existing connection?, but yes, you can use twisted pair wires, however I would not recomend it running more than 200 feet.

dbowlin17

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
I just want to extend the cord that is between 1.5 and 3 feet to something more like 25 feet. can i use cat5 to and twist each wire together? essentially adding the plugs onto each end of the cat5, after removing the crimping. are there any special wires (colors or something) i would need to use for that?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Cat5 is twisted pairs; Cat5 refers to Category 5 for its rating. For audio, you can use a pair for red and a pair for white. You can even use the other pair/s for composite video or S-Video signal or use the extra pairs for loop back.

Cat5 has 4 pairs, 8 wires altogether with 2 wires twisted together for a pair.