Samsung 32" LCD TV warranty question

cjcdeleon

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Hi,

Been reading the manual of Samsung LA32B350 and I have a question on this statement:

Watching the LCD TV in 4:3 format for a long period of time may leave traces of borders displayed on the
left, right and centre of the screen caused by the difference of light emission on the screen. Playing a DVD or
a game console may cause a similar effect to the screen. Damages caused by the above effect are not
covered by the Warranty

1. When does the format becom 4:3?
2. By watching DVD movies with format 4:3? Do most PS2 games come in 4:3 (since I noticed that some games such as Star Ocean in PS2 offers 16:9)?
3. If so, how can you detect if the material you're watching is in 4:3 format?
4. if tv is connected to PC, how can you detect the aspect ratio then? is it 4:3 or 16:9 for PC to TV use?

I would not want to get my LCD TV damaged like so....

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
you will know when you are in 4:3 the picture will only fill a portion of the screen as it is not a widescreen format so you will have unused pixels at each end.

picture a standard television picture and superimpose that on your widescreen monitor....that is 4:3....chances are you don't watch much in 4:3 format as anything in 4:3, like standard TV channels and DVD's, are probably being scaled up by your monitor.

Basically what they are saying is if the entire display is not filled, the remaining areas, which would be black, may be damaged if left like that for extended periods......if the picture fills your entire display then this is not a concern, only when displaying images that do not completely fill the monitor should you be concerned, and even then, it would have to left on overnight or something for any burn in to occur...

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
btw, my Samsung HD LCD has a remote with which you can view the different scaling/ratio viewing options. Tthe button is labeled "PSIZE" and pressing it while viewing, say non HD TV, offers up 4:3, 16:9, Zoom 1 and Zoom 2. I generally change the size to Zoom1 for non-HD programming as that provides a full screen picture with minimal cut off.

Pressing this button if you have one should display the current picture size/ratio.