Popping Sound in speakers

jbarnes45

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
I installed a Denon surround sound receiver with Boston speakers and subwoofer the other day. The receiver and subwoofer are connected to a power surge strip into a typical electrical outlet in my wall. I shut off the power surge strip last night. When I turned on the power surge strip this morning, and then the turned on the receiver and tv, loud popping sounds came out of the speakers. What do you think oculd be the cause? Voltage build-up released when I turned on the power surge strip? Speaker wires touching? I have a wireless router and cable modemn about 6 feet from the receiver. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

jbarnes45

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Tried that. Still a problem. I tested the circuit that I had the surge protector in. It seemed just fine, and the surge protector is OK. I am analyzing the wires and the receiver itself. It could possibly be the wires. I had a new voltage regulator installed in the receiver, and that could be the reason.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Test you can do to narrow down the problem:

1 - Don't turn the power strip off and no need to turn it off.

2 - Turn your equiments on one by one starting with with your TV...

3 - If problems persist then try to disconnect reciever from audio and video signal source and try to turn it on... sub will automatically turned on or go to standby if amplified.

Your amp have a noise filter so it shouldn't make the popping sound.

And by the way, what equiments are connected to the power strip?

jbarnes45

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks, rexter, I am going to try that. I have the following electronics connected to the power strip: TV, receiver, subwoofer, and an XM radio module.