Solved! Can I use a HDTV cable with an older TV?

G

I purchased a cable over the internet that came with 5 plugs, presumably for HDTV, and now am trying to use it on a 10 yr old TV that has 3 plugs in the back (really, to hook up our wii). any way to make this work? I don't want to bother to return it, if I don't have to

Solution
I purchased a cable over the internet that came with 5 plugs, presumably for HDTV, .... (really, to hook up our wii). any way to make this work?

If this is something like you bought Wii HD video cable then that is a component setup. Red Green and Blue for video and the Red and White for audio. You need to have a red, green and blue video input and red and white audio input on the back of your TV.

If the inputs on the back of your TV are Yellow, Red and White only, as I presume, then you have composite inputs and the above component cable will not work and hate to say you bought the wrong cable. Hopefully it was not too expensive.

Supe_

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I purchased a cable over the internet that came with 5 plugs, presumably for HDTV, .... (really, to hook up our wii). any way to make this work?

If this is something like you bought Wii HD video cable then that is a component setup. Red Green and Blue for video and the Red and White for audio. You need to have a red, green and blue video input and red and white audio input on the back of your TV.

If the inputs on the back of your TV are Yellow, Red and White only, as I presume, then you have composite inputs and the above component cable will not work and hate to say you bought the wrong cable. Hopefully it was not too expensive.

Solution
G

yes, they are red white and yellow

G

s, the wii came with the right set of cables; I bought a second set of cables, so I could hook up the wii console in the basement some times without having to un-hook all of the cables attached to our family room tv.