Bass amp as subwoofer?

srose

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Hi
I have a PC with a Creative X-FI X-Treme Music sound card installed. I also have an Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker system connected to it. I was wondering whether it is possible to use my bass amp as a subwoofer instead of the one that the Altec Lansing speakers have?

I have a male to male 3.5mm jack with an adapter to connect it to the instrument input in the amp.

Can you help?
Thanks

peaveyman

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Hey,

It is very possible to use a bass amp as a speaker for music or gaming. I have a Peavey 112 Max Combo as a speaker besides a subwoofer. Personally, I don't have a powered subwoofer, but I'm beginning to realize that you have to raise the volume or gain on the bass amp to get more bass sound. In general, a bass amp can be used as a speaker for music. :)

fatterpat1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
You are having to turn it up because the output of the computer is mismatched to Bass amp. You need to check the owners manual of the amp for input specifications and the output of the computer for it's output specs. Yes it will play BUT! More harm is done to electronics because of mismatched systems.