Solved! Broadcasting extra digitals channels at home

bitide

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hey,

I have an incoming digital tv cable distribution available throughout the house (via coax). Now I would like to add an "extra" digital channel on the existing cable distribution on which I can distribute my own music/videos/... from a server at the house.
Is this possible?

Regards,
J.

Solution
so what your asking is can you stream from a computer to your tv or another device? if thats the case you might want to look into networking and think about using cat5 and not the primitive coax. just a suggestion. im definitely interested in this project.

jlsimmons9

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
so what your asking is can you stream from a computer to your tv or another device? if thats the case you might want to look into networking and think about using cat5 and not the primitive coax. just a suggestion. im definitely interested in this project.

Solution

bitide

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

That was actually my first thought too, broadcasting over ethernet (using VideoLAN for example), but that would require a computer add your tv to get the broadcasted video/music to your tv.
Then I thought about a standard videorecorder where u just plugin your incoming cable (with the standard channels), and the output of that videorecorder gives u the standard channels + its own "channel" showing the video you are playing. This is actually the thing I would like to do.