What's wrong with my monitor?

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Hi, I have a toshiba laptop p25-s507. I've had it since October of 2003. It's worked great for me and I've taken good care of it. Within the past year I've noticed that the screen is getting dimmer (which is expected) and within the past 3 months or so, I have noticed whenever I turn the laptop on, the screen has a reddish hue which eventually disappears after a few minutes. Just the other day I was watching a video and the screen went completely blank and would not return regardless of the keys I hit or mouse movement (I know it's not the hard drive, cpu, motherboard, etc because the video was still playing and I could pause/unpause the video as normal)

I rebooted and it was working again for a few days. Then it happened again last night and now it will not return no matter what I do. I have a super video output that I can connect to my TV and view the desktop fine from there, but I really want to fix the monitor if possible.

From my research seems like the LCD needs to be replaced. does this sound like a reasonable assessment?

thanks

Solution
Yup, you need a new LCD panel. They're pretty expensive, though (and may be difficult to find).

I hate to say it, but it's time to start weighing the thought of a new notebook versus repairing this one. Not something you have to do, but it's something I would consider.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Yup, you need a new LCD panel. They're pretty expensive, though (and may be difficult to find).

I hate to say it, but it's time to start weighing the thought of a new notebook versus repairing this one. Not something you have to do, but it's something I would consider.

Solution

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

thanks, yeah, I would like a new computer right now but funds just won't allow it. I did find a new LCD for around $120. does that sound reasonable?