I have to bend the coax S/PDIF cable to get sound?

spencerfine

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
That's pretty much the issue. My computer's audio is connected to a receiver on the other side of the room via a CoAx-Spdif cable coming from this motherboard: http://preview.tinyurl.com/nfpj6z I've pulled it out and put it in so many times the port is now a little loose on the board. I'm not sure if its the motherboard or the cable cuz the cable looks fine but I have to bend the cable to the left in order to get any sound and keep it there somehow and I'm worried I might break it off. How do I fix this? should I clamp the out port with a wrench to try and make the hole smaller bc its a little loose? should I convert the coax spdif to optical and plug it in right next to it? Should I get a female to female coax and try to put another short cord in there? What would you guys do?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
It’s maybe the wire broke at the tensioner portion of the cable or either your terminal port is damage.
Try different RCA cable and if the problem persist then you have a damage terminal port, you can fix it or have it fix. This may require removing the board out.

I prefer TOSLINK myself, and highly recommend it over coax for such runs.