System cannot detect my digital camera?

wakanyi

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
please help me I am unable to access the pictures on my Kodak digitabl camera because I keep getting the error message that the system cannot detect my digital camera

G

Could be a problem with the cable, your USB port or any software the Kodak relies on to transfer pix.

The simplest solution is to get a card reader and access your photos that way.

wakanyi

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Could be a problem with the cable, your USB port or any software the Kodak relies on to transfer pix.

The simplest solution is to get a card reader and access your photos that way.

Thanks for your suggestions. Quick question - the card reader you refer to - would that be the removable device that stores all the pics in the camera?

G

The card reader is a USB device which can be used to read the removable memory card (usually SD type these days) which stores pics on the camera.

Note that most cameras also have a small amount of internal storage (say 4 or 5 pictures worth) which can only be accessed via a cable or dock attached to the camera. If you are having problems accessing pictures on the camera avoid using the internal memory (just remove the memory card and fire off some test shots to fill the internal memory -- then any subsequent shots will be stored on the card).

wakanyi

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Thanks for the input - I will give it a shot.

However, I still would like to send my pics via email to my family and friends. If my USB device is indeed defective, is it possible to buy another one and see if that works? I have used it before to download my pictures and I have had no problems until recently.

I really appreciate your comments. Thanks again!

G

If you have a desktop computer it is possible to add a PCI card which carries USB sockets. If you have a laptop and your's has a PCMCIA slot you can buy a PCMCIA card which carries USB sockets.

Test your USB port with a device other than the camera -- if necessary borrow a USB flash drive (aka memory stick) from a friend or buy one for a few dollars -- they are always useful.

wakanyi

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
If you have a desktop computer it is possible to add a PCI card which carries USB sockets. If you have a laptop and your's has a PCMCIA slot you can buy a PCMCIA card which carries USB sockets.

Test your USB port with a device other than the camera -- if necessary borrow a USB flash drive (aka memory stick) from a friend or buy one for a few dollars -- they are always useful.

I am not tech savvy - could you please tell me what is a PCMCIA slot? Thanks!

G

If you have a laptop it may include a slot for a card which is about the same length and width as a business card (but thicker). Check the manual for your laptop.