Playstation 3 won't play in coior

drjohnoh

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
I was playing the new BD version of the Wizard of Oz disc and was satisfiied with portion of it that was in B&W (reel #1), but surprised and disappointed when the color failed to show as Dorothy opens the door to see OZ for the first time (beginning of reel #2) - I am a former projectionist and had the pleasure of showing the Wizard of Oz in a theater using the old Peerless carbon-arc projectors.

So, after fiddelling with everything, I popped in a another disc and it was in B&W as well. I am outputting video in componet format and I have checked all connections. Up until now,my PS3 has flawlessly displayed color as it was encoded on DVD nad BD discs.

Any ideas? I have been in the hospital recently for a long stay and the PS3 has not been used, but it has been powered up.

Thanks

drjohnoh

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2009
I found the source of the problem: the cable. When I hooked up the unit to a television with HDMI input, the picture was perfect. Then I replaced the PS3-to-component cable with a new one and everything appeared as it should have. I have since sent the PS3-to-component cable back to its manufacturer (Monster) and am awaiting the promised replacement cable. I am also awaiting an answer as to why the cable was problem. I checked for continuity of all of the wires and they were fine, but I don't have a method for testing the bandwidth capability and that may have been the problem.