A laptop for After Effects & 3d animating/modeling software

Z003

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Hey guys, I need a laptop that will allow me to work in After effects and software like Maya or 3ds max.
I saw two ASUS laptops (the G51 and G71) they have good gpus but the battery is an kind of an issue. I am a college student so a battery which can last at least 3 hours would be great. I am willing to spend 1200 or less. 4gb of ram will do and 320gb hard drive but more space is always better. Although I would love an nvidia gpu with 1gb ram but a ATI is okay long as it can perform well. The maximum screen size is 17" but anything less would be easier for me to carry around.

Guys I really need some supervision I mean I never really expected to use a laptop .I am a desktop user and love using them. But now I don;t have much time I can spend with my desktop.

1_What is your budget? 1200 or cheaper

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15" but 17" is the highest I can go

3_What screen resolution do you want? Any

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Any

5_How much battery life do you need? 3 hours at least but willing to go for 2 hrs if its a good performing laptop

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? some gaming but its not important
7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing, surfing the web, playing music, watching movies, Etc.) Basically 3d modeling/animation and visual effects ( 3ds max and After Effects)

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? 320gb but more is always better

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? at least 2 years

11_If you would like to mention some other things about purchasing your ideal laptop, post them. A good GPU an Nvidia with 1gb ram is what will work for me and a okay CPU
12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I like most brands

13_What country do you live in? United States