Need a New MP3 Player

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Well, my current MP3 player still 'works' but its getting towards its end legs, about time for a a new one :).. It isnt "THAT" old but I have not been kind to it..

Anyway, I currently use a Creative Vision:M 30g.

Need some ideas for a new one with the follownig in mind:

- I do not want to use iTunes, as much as I may get flamed.. I prefer using WMP to sync with.
- I want it to be as compatable as possible as far as video formats and audio formats go. In addition to music I want to be able to watch tv shows and the odd movie on it. For instance I can install codecs for things like FLAK (most concerts I record end up as FLAC) and Divx (well ffdshow) on the Vision:M which is very very handy.
- Space isn't a huge concern, but I want at least 10gb or so.. Having only ever had hdd units I'm about ready to move on to flash (hell, even my desktop has SSD's.. I look a bit strange with this monster of an mp3 player :) )..
- I have never owned anything other than a Creative MP3 player, but am willing to try new things.
- I am slightly deaf in one ear so I am not by any means an audiofile, but the image quality of the screen is important.
- The one thing that the current player I have that bothered me was that I could not easily manipulate the controls while it was in my pocket.
- Not much bigger than the vision:M as a limit on size.

It has been years since I've followed MP3 player developement and have no idea where to look :D. Any tips or oppinions would be greatly appreciated.

-Cheers

I am waiting on the 32GB version of the Cowon S9. The 16GB version is currently available for around $225 (or something like that). Cowon is known for products with excellent sound quality; at least on their higher end stuff like the A2, D2, O2 and S9.

FLAC is supported and it is the reason why I am considering this DAP. Unfortunately, the S9 does not support DivX (you'll need to settle on XviD), nor does it support H.264. :(

Below are two reviews, the 2nd review compares the iAMOLED screen to a typical LCD screen on the iPod and Samsung P2. :)

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2008/12/cowon-iaudio-s9-review.php

http://www.dapreview.net/p/content/content.php?content.348.4

The Samsung P2 got great reviews as well, and the P3 is expected to be released in the US, but "when" is the question. Major downside, you must trans-code video to a format the P2/P3 can recognize.