Connecting car subs to pc

il muxu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
hi, yesterday i connected my rockford fosgate 400 watts sub to my computer but without an amp. i just unscrewed my logitech pc sub and connected 2 wires from the logitech sub to the car sub and it actually worked. but the question is is it safe or can it damage my sub and the sub is giving it's peak power ie 400watts? thanks

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
You're using the logitech amp to power the sub in essence, and it could damage the logitech setup because of that. It depends on the impedance of the speakers though - you might be OK. You definitely are not getting 400W though - you are getting however much power the Logitech amp is rated for.

il muxu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
you mean that the logitech sub has a built in amplifier and i am taking power from that lol ? the logitech sub is only 15watts i think and its diameter is 8cm long!!

ddawson24

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Is the car sub dual voice coil? Also what is the impedance 2 or 4 ohm? Any way around it the car sub will be less efficient and more powerful. That is how they are built. It will be very difficult for the logitech amp to power that sub more than likely. It may work for now, but over the course of time heat will win and the amp will go bad.