Can you format a netbook without a cd/dvd drive?

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
I want to format my netbook but it doesnt have a cd/dvd drive which means i cant boot it up from CD and install windows. Is the only other way to buy an edternal disc drive?

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
There are many ways to install windows without CD/DVD, however the best way is by creating a windows [7, vista or xp] bootable USB drive.

Creating a Windows 7 [ Vista or XP] bootable USB drive in a few easy steps.

.............................................................................................................
Requirements:
Windows 7 ,or Vista or XP ISO
4GB+ USB Pen drive (for windows 7 or vista) or 2 GB (for windows XP)
UNetbootin tool, Download here http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/unetbootin-windows-latest.exe and save it. (is free software)

.............................................................................................................
(backup any data on the USB, as it will be formatted)

Step 1: Insert USB pen drive into the USB port

Step 2: From the Start menu, go to My computer, right click on the USB drive, then select Format. In format windows, under File System choose NTFS. then click Start. Once complete close the window.

format_usb_thumbdrive_flash_fat_ntfs_how_tutorial3.jpg

Step 3: Open the UNetbootin tool (from the location you saved it in), when the the program opens up, 'Diskimage' [in the middle] should be selected . Now click on 3 dots [...] to browse
for your Windows 7, Vista, or XP ISO image file.

unetbootin_shot.jpg

Step 4: At the bottom of the Unetbootin windows , the setting should be

Type: USB Drive
Drive: for this, you choose your correct usb drive letter

Step 5: Start the process by clicking OK

Wait as the ISO is extracted to your USB drive; once is done, you will have a bootable Windows 7/Vista/XP USB drive .

Your USB drive is ready to boot and install Windows. Simple hay?

Remember you need to change the boot priorty in the Bios, change it to USB (from the HDD or CD ROM/DVD drive)

If you down't have Windows ISO, you can download Windows 7 Enterprise 90 days trial from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/evalcenter/cc442495.aspx?ITPID=wtcfeed

Feed back is welcome.

aneblanc

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
I am at step 3, I have inserted my XP CD (Recovery Media Windows XP Home Edition Product Service Pack 3), where do I find the ISO image file?

I have a fake antivirus program on my netbook and cannot get rid of it. I want to reinstall XP.

Thanks

santoshgurung55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

junoskinner

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012

Awesome response - far more useful then anything anyone else on this page has written. Thank you so much!

Rak_TAL

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

Hello
I've created the USB-Flash-Bootable XP with your instruction.
But when I insert the flash into the netbook, it says: "BOOTMGR Is Missing".
Can you please help me about this error?

UPDATE: I made a bootable flash with WinSetupFromUSB with no problem.