60 hz vs 120hz LCD TV

MrBeanUSA

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2007
120 hz is faster and better than 60 hz. Less blurry, but unless you are watching a car race, it is hard to tell the difference. Most LCD tv's are 120 Hz or faster.

pinoynobello

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I just read an article that said that the extra money for 120hz to 240hz thats out now is not worth it because you cant really tell the difference. i heard 120 is nicer for less blur in things as Mrbeanusa said but i cant tell the difference

120Hz HDTVs creates and inserts 1 interpolated frame in between two actual frames from the video source to "improve image quality" and smoothness. Example: Blu-Ray player send frames 1 and 2 to the HDTV which then creates frame 1.5 and inserts it in between frames 1 and 2, and lastly the frames are displayed on the screen. Next the HDTV receives frame 3, the HDTV then creates frame 2.5 and inserts/displays the frames on screen.

240Hz HDTVs creates 3 frames for every two actual frames it receives. Therefore, in between frames 1 and 2 which the HDTV receives from the Blu-Ray player, the HDTV will create frames 1.25, 1.5 and 1.75. This "improves image quality" and further increases smoothness.

The more frames the HDTV must create, the higher the input lag because the HDTV requires more time to create the frames.