Directv LNB Problem?

victorb3

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I had a lot of rain the other day and my DTV satellite went out and did not come back after the storm. The following day some channels came back but not all. (This happened once before but on that occasion all of the channels came back the next day).
I went up on the roof an found that the cap on the LNB was cracked and broken and was very brittle to the touch. All of the connections were secure and the dish "seems" to be positioned properly.
The transponder test showed that ALL of the odd numbers 1,3,...29,31 had zero signal strength. The evens were mostly at 95 or better although a few were only at 80 and one was at only 34 signal strength.
Does this mean that my LNB got wet and needs to be replaced?

victorb3

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Well I am sorry but I did not wait for a response but just decided just to go out and get a new LNB since the existing was over 7 years old. I got a Terk TLNB-10 from Radio Shack. It took me 20 minutes to replace this (including putting up and taking down the 30 ft ladder to reach the dish up on the roof).

Instantly the problem was resolved. All channels now work. This saved me big time as my wife wanted to watch something on 1 of the channels that weren't coming in before but now are coming in great. :love:

-VictorB3