Chip level repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

comfreakz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Where can i get information or guideline about laptop motherboard repair chip level repair.. I wish to learn and get some knowledge

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
like frozen said its very rare, most common chips on motherboards that need replacing are the bios chips and the only way to remove them is by
"hot air soldering" which you need a tool for that. circuit boards maps are not availble to download, only manufacturer has them but if you've done
courses on circuit boards you'll pretty much know that its universal for most boards its like when you identify what one chip is, you know the surroundings correspond to it, you'll need a Capacitor tester, multimeter for most checks

the other very common is the DC socket, pretty easy because they're not small and the hooks are visible and replacement parts widely availble.

but be reminded nowadays most replacement working motherboards can cost cheaper than the time you waste to check them
its quite impossible to check every componments if you dont know what the problem is.

to sum up,..motherboards for computers especialy laptops are not like the back in the days portable stereo cassete players, where everything is bulky and big today everything is very small..

comfreakz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
i have a basic knowledge about electric but i wish to learn more. i know how to remove ic ,cremics caps , mosfet.. but i wish i could learn more about laptop mobo. could any give a link for that..

frozenlead

Distinguished
A notebook motherboard is no different than any other ordinary circuitboard other than what's on it - which, by that fact, distinguishes all circuitboards, so the point is moot.

Learning how to remove things off of a board has almost nothing to do with electricity. It's just maintenance work - you could train a monkey to do it, given the time. If you want to learn about electricity, pick up a copy of University Physics, volume 2 (Young and Freedman).

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
don't mind these twits.

solder reflow is common enough for youtube videos to exist demonstrating its practice.

It is a very useful skill to pickup...

Let's say you know the graphics chip is fried on a motherboard. You can go on ebay, buy an as-is motherboard of the same type extremely cheap. Steal the graphics chip from it, and install it in the board that needs one.

There are many more examples of this - there is even a market for de-soldered chips.

frozenlead

Distinguished

I've never seen this market you've heard of. I certainly would never trust a chip removed by someone else.

Anyway, If you're going to buy a used board, why not just replace the one you got? It's easier, simpler, and guarantees a fix, whereas replacing the chip does not; perhaps your graphics chip fried, and that melted several resistors or caps, which can be millimeters in length, and ridiculously difficult to diagnose. Now you've two dead boards, and you're out more money. Plus, dropping a new board in ensures (with a more than reasonable margin of error) that you don't screw up the repair - whereas chip level repair does not (as much).

Edit: comfreakz, I don't understand what you're looking for them. If you can get chips on and off boards, how do you not understand how to repair the board? Do you mean how do you diagnose the part failure? If so (and I hate to say it) unless it's completely obvious what went wrong (like a blown cap) you're wasting your time. You can spend weeks with thousands of dollars in tools tracking down component failures. It's just makes more sense to replace the board if the damage is great enough, or the problem is mesmerizing enough.

Gagglegoat

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
FROZENLEAD........... what an appropriate title.
If we all thought like you this exchange would be conducted through the old school mail service, how do you think any technological advances are made? Curiosity, Trial and Error my friend.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Curiosity, trial, and error. Sure, I believe you - but that's not the subject at hand. We're talking about consumer technologies; we're not taking stabs in the dark at trying to detect dark matter.

I'm not going to spend months (or even years) diagnosing a board that's already obsolete, only to find I've not the tools to actually fix the part that's broken. If you have the time (and the thousands of dollars in tools) go ahead. This isn't the kind of thing you can fix with a multimeter. It's easier (faster, more economical, has a better margin of success) to simply replace boards that are logically diagnosed to be damaged.

comfreakz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
frozenload if u dislike about this thread. just off from the thread my friend. we actually discussing to find solution on interest . i open up this thread to share knowledge. as my basic knowledge of mother board repair we need to understand smd technique such as reball ic,replace cap ,resistor,power ic and fuse using rework station but reason why im open up this thread to see geeks at toms hardware knowledge. we in asian had successfully fixed most of laptop motherboard. If you just replace mobo to new set of mobo even my grandma can do it my friend. Sometimes we sell refurbished to customer which even u out there never knew. We had successfully earn 80% margin which even sum times my cost us usd$5 for repairing. think-think :wahoo:

frozenlead

Distinguished
I'm struggling to understand what on earth you said, however:

I never said anything about replacing obviously damaged components. I'm saying diagnosing a board that's dead (and it's not physically obvious that it is so) is not worth the time.

This thread is about chip-level repairs; as I said, a monkey (or your grandmother, if you want) can replace a capacitor. Where on earth you found specific chips for specific boards is beyond me, but those kinds of things are nowhere to be found in the US. If you found a supplier of them in Asia (considering that's where they make most of them), that's fine, and if you've already the tools to accomplish a job like that, that's fine too (which you didn't say in the beginning). But, for anyone that doesn't have such things, and for a person who has a board that looks like it works fine (but actually doesn't, which is to say it has no physical damage), attempting to diagnose and repair a motherboard is a waste of time and money. It's a much better plan, logically, to just replace the board.

I've worked on thousands of machines and have never encountered a chip failure before. Sure, caps blow, but anyone with a soldering iron can fix that.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
this is a computer enthusiasts website...

it seems as if you are encouraging people to stay away from chip-level repairs/education like it's the dark side.

what is the harm in people wanting to educate themselves?

When the OP tells you to get off the thread, and your response is that you don't understand him...it's time to take a hint

frozenlead

Distinguished
I never said he couldn't do it if he wanted to, I simply said doing so to actually fix something isn't the best course of action to take.

Also, learning how to replace a chip really isn't learning much (aside from the fact that you'll almost never be required to do it). If you want to learn about chips, that's a different world.

ampedal

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
yes it is possible, these videos make you think its the better solution, I tried these many times chip level repair i get 2 out of 10 successful rate. but I can buy a brand new motherboard for hp dv6000 for £54.00 on ebay, for me the client will pay for it so less hassle and less time wasted especialy in the 21st centry. I keep his board myself and whenever I have time I try reballing ect..but for someone who has the tools and the skills yes why not? heatgun £100, tools £20 time? 1 day. especialy if you cant find motherboard for sale, but it wont be long until the same problem occurs again unless you're selling that laptop or device.

but in these forums, its mostly for normal people, you and I and frozen are 3% of those who know what you're talking about and people like me, you and frozen wont come to online forums and ask your question they usualy handle it themselves, here these online forums are for normal problems like, how do I change the time on my pc or how to I print from emails or my laptop is slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.