Asus Laptop to Sony HDTV - HDMI port not working

storm2

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Trying to connect my Asus W90 to a Sony HDTV (KDL-32W4000) via HDMI to HDMI, but no matter what I do I don't get any picture nor sound.

Catalyst Control Centre detects a SONY TV, agrees to clone the desktop and sets the correct resolution, but the TV just says "no signal".

Both TV and laptop screen support 1920x1080 and with a 15-pin VGA cable they connect just fine, but the screen flickers sometimes.

I've spent hours changing all imaginable settings in CCC and in Vista settings, tried two different HDMI cables, but no result. Hours of googling solutions didn't help, either. Once the HDMI to HDMI cable even worked but the colours were totally bleached. Installed Powerstrip but it's useless.

The specs are:

Sony Bravia 32" KDL-32W4000

Asus W90
ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 (latest Catalyst)
Vista64 Home Premium

Please help me, I'm desperate. I've spent 3000$ in hi-end laptop and TV and can't use it properly! Is it because of that parody of an operating system called Vista?

r_manic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, you can try an alternative OS like XP, 7, or even a variant of Linux. You can also try managing the connection through Window Vista's built-in tools, not through Catalyst. Also check if your drivers are updated across the board, and if the TV's settings are correct.

storm2

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

I tried to use the built-in tools, but there's no chance. Chipset and ATI drivers are up to date. The telly's settings are pretty limited but they seem fine.

Had the same problem on XP on my old machine. I considered upgrading to 7, but unless I know for sure it can help me solve the problem I won't spend money on another MS product. Having to buy OEM Vista with the laptop was already too much for them...

By browsing forums I found out many people have sound issues with HDMI to HDMI, but nobody complained about totally unresponsive picture :(

tha1977

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I have the same problem too, except my notebook is asus K52JU, the TV is 37LG6000 the the OS is Windows 7 64bit... :pfff:

anonnynonny

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Came here looking to see if you had found a solution, because I have been having the same problem. I had long assumed long assumed it was my tv that was problem, but testing today showed it was my laptop that wasn't sending the signal; I had actually been using it fine for months, when one day it stopped.

In the past hour I've had the laptop with 'no signal' hooked into a different hdmi tv. I mssed around in Control Panel to no avail, until I typed HDMI into the Control Panel search function. Suddenly, the tv came to life. The picture on BOTH has been periodially dropping as I type this, while a little bubble pops up demanding that I am not in the proper resolution for cloning displays. I am thinking that if you play around with Connect to a Projector in the control panel, you may get some results.