Is it ok to split cable tv and internet on the same coax line?

tgriff

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
I recently had Time Warner install cable TV and Internet service in my house. I asked the install tech if it was possible to split the coax at the wall so I could have the cable modem and set top box located at the same place in the house.

He declined my request saying that they only allow that in apartments and not residential houses.

My questions are:
1. Will there be any issues in splitting the coax and having both the modem and dvr operate off of the same line?
2. If it is possible, is there anything I have to consider when buying a splitter?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to everyone's input on this.

You shouldn't run into any problems, but I can't speak for Time Warner cable. I'm using Comcast and I have the line from the wall is split three ways:

1) Cable Set Top box (sits in the lower shelf of the entertainment center)
2) Cable modem (sits in back, top shelf of the entertainment center)
3) Wall pass-through to the bedroom HTPC

I haven't experienced any problems at all with this setup.

-Wolf sends

tgriff

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Wolf - Thanks for the feedback on your experience. Quick follow up question: Do you have HD service with an hdtv tv, and if so did you notice any quality loss after splitting the signal?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006

Ha! The technician is lazy. You can actually ask your cable/internet service if it's the same provider to put the modem where you want it.

Check the modem connection and if you see a splitter then remove that splitter and use a coupler to connect the input wire and one leads to the TV, then use the splitter where you want your modem. It should have something like 130db RFI and -3.5 to -7 db on the output port like this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_05797948000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&keyword=cable+splitter notice the frequency and the db output? Connect your TV to one with higher frequency.

Some splitter like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?ISList=82-021-065-S01%2c82-021-065-S02%2c82-021-065-S03%2c82-021-065-S04%2c82-021-065-S05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16882021065&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=Rosewill%20RCW-H9020%203-way%20Coaxial%20Cable%20Splitter%20-%20Retail is not good quality.

AkiMtn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
For those who may be searching threads: The issue of apartment vs. home is one of distribution. An apartment building is wired with distribution amplifiers and each apartment may have one to three outlets. The cable guy knows what to expect for that apartment building. A homeowner is responsible for their own setup and a prewired house could have ten outlets on two or more floors. If your cable run to your TV/Cablebox/Modem is direct with no other splitters feeding other rooms first, there is no problem splitting at the wall. But if you have a 10 room two story house with five TV's, two Tivo's or more, you need to have a proper distribution set up or you can run out of signal strength.

seth89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
the best way to do it is to run its own line directly after the main feed (rg-11).
so you want the rg-11 to a two way splitter. from the two way you want one line out for web and one line out to a cable amp and cable splitters.

if you stick it behinde the cable amp you will drop because the data cant pass the amp. unless you get a two way amp from your cable service.
and data is two way were cable tv is one way so it will sent packets of data to the wrong spot (some to the tv and some to the modem.)

---rg-11----[spilter====web/tv