External monitor problem

hardware1215

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I have a Gateway laptop and a Dell Latitude D610 laptop. I have two LCD monitors.

Both LCD monitors function as expected in extended desktop with the Gateway laptop.

Neither LCD monitor will work with the Dell, but both used to (not so long ago).

I'm guessing I have messed up the extended desktop software configuration in the Dell and that's why it won't light up an external monitor.

I have compared the extended desktop configuation in Windows and found no difference between the two laptops.

Any advice as to what I might have done to disable the Dell's external monitor capability? What to look for and where?

Thanks.

walt526

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Right-click on the desktop and select "Properties." Select tab "Settings." Under the drop-down menu make sure that "Multiple Monitors" is selected. See if that helps any.

hardware1215

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Well . . . my XP desktop Properties ==> Settings tab does not have a "Multiple Monitors" choice. The two checkbox options are "Use this device as the primary monitor" and ""Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor."

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
yeah man, chose extend dude and then press FN and f5 at the same time
OR FN with any other F key that is for external display

hardware1215

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion, but Fn + F8 doesn't help :(

In comparing my problematic laptop with another laptop that works with an external monitor, I notice a difference that may be related to my external monitor problem. Need some advice as to whether it is or not.

Display Properties ==> Settings tab, Display dropdown:

Working laptop's two entries in the dropdown:
1. Plug and Play Monitor on Mobile Inter(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
2. (Default Monitor) on Mobile Inter(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family

Problem laptop's two entries in the dropdown:
1. Plug and Play Monitor on Mobile Inter(R) 915GM Express Chipset Family
2. HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor on Mobile Inter(R) 915GM Express Chipset Family

Is lack of the "(Default Monitor) on Mobile Inter(R) 915GM Express Chipset Family" entry something to be concerned about? My recollection is vague, but I think that entry used to be there. I probably did something to blow it away. How do I get it back?

Thanks.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
not realy but it could help to download the latest chipset drivers and also the button shortcut softwares. these softwares tell the keyboard what each key should do.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
when you chose extend it will light up the other one and you can drag files
to the other one, there should also be an option called "clone" which what ever
you see in the laptop you see in the external, also makesure the resolution is the same like 1280 by 1024 is usualy ideal.