HTPC - 1080p Looks Awful

traumatik

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2009
Hi all,

I am running a PC with a GeForce 9600 GT as my video card. I purchased a Dynex cable to convert the DVI signal to HDMI and ran it to my new Series 5 Samsung 32" (1080p).

This particular TV has a "HDMI (DVI)" port which accepts all manner of resolutions @ 60Hz. Right now, I'm running in 1680x1050 with 32bit color. It looks great! So does 1360x768. The TV scales them perfectly. However, when I go to 1920x1080 (which the TV and video card can accept and push, respectively) the image becomes stretched (i.e. the Windows Start Bar is just out of sight below the screen). Also, the color looks terrible, as if it was running at something just higher than 256 colors. What confuses me is that the TV is displaying the signal, just improperly. I can't tell if it's being pushed incorrectly or being interpreted incorrectly by the display. 1080p works fine through the VGA port (my Xbox 360) and 1080i works with the HD cable box (HDMI).

I thought it was the lower priced cable which had the adapter built in, so I returned it, and bought an adapter to attach to a DVI cable I have that I know works. This is what I'm currently running, and no problems with it, except when you try 1920x1080. Same problem.

Is it more likely an issue with the TV, or an issue with the video card?
I have to admit my knowledge is limited in this department.

P.S.
I came out this morning and when I turned the TV on the display was sort of... "crackling". I figured it was the cheap cable
but after resetting the resolution in Windows it was fine, however I did return the cable as mentioned above. I don't know if that helps suggest one way or the other, but in case it throws up some red flags for anyone that knows this stuff, I thought I should mention it.

Regards,
Rob

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hi Rob,

My knowledge in LCD's is limited too, but I would try different things:
1. A different PC ( or video card for that matter)
2. Different drivers for your video card
3. Faulty cables? (even after replace them)
4. Faulty HDMI adapter?

If you do get a good 1080p screen with other hardware (I think the xbox360 does not have a true 1080p res, it just scales it, correct if I'm wrong), I would play with different drivers for the geforce, or the card itself is not working correctly.

red-i

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
check your TV to make sure you're in native mode, and not one of those modes that auto stretches the picture.