Nvidia 9600m gt bad performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
hey everybody,

I've been having some trouble with my laptop.
I bought it around 7 months ago.
The problem is that i'm not getting the performance that I should get in games. It's not even close to the ones I see posted on the internet for example on http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9600M-GT.9449.0.html
for example I have to play cod4 on medium settings and still I get fps as low as 25 and 37 average.
I also tried playing older games like halo: combat evolved, I get full 60 fps but as some places I get 24, and that's a game from 2003
first thing I thought was my laptop was overheating, so I tried rivatuner and evga precision to turn the fan speed up, but it's all grey
do you guys have any Idea's of what I could do?
also, I do have the latest drivers for the cpu and gpu

the spec's for the laptop are :
compal Jhl90:
processor :intel core 2 t6400
ram : 4gb ram 800mhz
graphics : nvidia 9600m gt

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

thanks for helping me out,

when i'm surfing the web and stuff it's around 59 C,
but during a game like demigod it goes up to 80 C
I tried using diffrent drivers, even older ones
I didn't get better performance though.

at the start of the game everything goes smoothly, but
after a little while it starts performing really bad....
anything else I could do?
for example a way to crank the fan speed up?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Your temps are high, but within limits. No, there's no way to turn up the fan speed on notebooks - it's controlled by the BIOS as a function of temperature and utilization.

Try taking your notebook to the garage and blowing out the heatsinks with compressed air. Check your CPU temps, too.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

allright i'll try that
to be honest though, I don't think that's the problem ,because it is still fairly new
but i'll give it a go anyway

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

so i tried cleaning the heatsink, but it's still the same.
the cpu temps. are around 53-57 degrees C. when I'm browsing the web
it also gets hot when I'm playing games, around 80, do you think the gpu could be heating the cpu?
also, anything else I can try?

frozenlead

Distinguished
80C is a problem. That's just too high. Use CPUz to check your clockspeed as you play games - you should see it go down when the temperatures start to increase that high.

If your heatsinks are clean, there's not much else you can do to cool the notebook down. Try propping it up from the table and/or get a cooling pad.

rockinthepe

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
I had this problem as well with an hp. solution is fairly simple, drivers. update your drivers to 186.81 off of the nvidia website. i run DoW 2 mostly high at 1280x768 mostly high getting about 25 fps, not awesome but it was an improvement over all medium settings at 1280x720

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

but are your spec's the same?

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

cpu-z shows the cpu to run at 1200Mhz right now, even with the power plan turned to "performance",
could this be a problem? (when i'm on the desktop)
well I played a full game of demigod, all settings on Med. I got shitty fps the whole game, but I kept going,
First cpu got to 82 degrees, seconde got to 84 degrees C. The speed stayed at 1994.96 MHz,
The GPU though, did slow down.
it started like this :
Core: 500 Mhz
Shaders: 1250 Mhz
Memory: 400 Mhz

after 2 minutes of playing the game it went down to this:
Core: 400 Mhz
Shaders: 800 Mhz
Memory: 400 Mhz

also, what should the cpu temperature be like on average laptops?

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

GPU-Z gives me this:

core clock
lowest: 169 Mhz
average: 325 Mhz
max : 500 Mhz

memory clock

lowest: 100mhz
average:250 Mhz
Highest: 400 Mhz

Temp
lowest : 61 degrees
average: 71 degrees (also alt tabbing to the desktop)
highest: 79 degrees

I don't think the average is exact, cuz I had to look them up like 1 minute after closing the game, so it went down a little

Is there anything I can do to lower the Cpu temperature?
without buying a cooler for it?

frozenlead

Distinguished
Your GPU seems to be okay. Why it's downclocking itself is beyond me..

You can lower the CPU temp by cleaning the heatsinks completely (removing them from the notebook) and replacing your thermal paste...but that's about it.

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
could it be switching modes very fast?
maybe because I had to switch between programs, and it just switched really fast, because I selected it to show me the "current" speeds, instead of maximum speeds.
thanks anyway

blenderah

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Hi I run a HP Pavilion dv5 notebook with Intel Core duo cpu t9400 @ 2.53ghz each core and the 512mb nvid 9600m GT - playing fear2 all medium @ 1024x 768 she gets hot playing that game - not really any frame rate issues besides that would be expected if i tried to run it at higher settings - got riva tuner to check temps - was advised by another site to offset this temp if its displaying higher then 59-60'c at idle running a core clock/ROP of 168.75mhz core clock/shader domain 337.50mhz Memory clock 100mhz - did a little more research on the gpu has max temp load of 105'c :) that seems a lot higher then what earlier posters have been saying - initially at idle it was showing a core temp of 67'c so offset the temp 7 degrees.

Arched up Fear2 - played for 30 mins - reached temps of 95-98'c max - this is if i raise the lappy off the table with a couple of raises giving 1cm clearance - had it shut my comp down if you dont run it with clearance - has a temperature fail safe built in.
Core clock/ROP Domain is on a constant 500mhz when playing this game
core clock / shader domain runs at constant 1250mhz
memory clock at a constant 399.6mhz

Its a pushy game - performs well considering - but the old palm does get a bit warm

Status
Not open for further replies.