Toshiba laptop has black screen

dallasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 with a screen that won't come on at all. I hook it to an external monitor and it works just fine. I have tried replacing the screen, the inverter, and the actual cable that hooks the screen to the motherboard.....NONE of these things have worked! I even updated the bios to the latest version. However, I still get a picture if I hook it to an external monitor.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong that I have missed? Any suggestions on what to do to fix it? Thanks!

katrisaf

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
I have the same model with a similar problem? My problem is the screen goes out intermittently and I have to reboot to get it to come back up. Were you able to get an answer.

dallasr

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

no! I'm just going to sell it on ebay as defective and let people know exactly what I've stated here. It works perfectly other than the screen. Someone might have use for it as an HTPC to hook to their LCD TV for watching movies or surfing the net. Anyway, laptops are so cheap now that it's pointless to waste so much time and money on trying to figure it out. I bought a replacement laptop for the customer on Newegg for $380

katrisaf

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

Thanks for responding. I the mean time I found a website that shows how to replace the inverter, which I think is causing the problem. If that doesn't work then I'm going to scrap mine too or use as a DVD player when I travel. If you're interested the website is as follows: http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a215/disassemble-display-panel-1.htm.

katrisaf

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

I just noticed that you already stated you replaced the inverter, sorry about that.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
maybe the stuff you replaced with doesn't work either.. remove battery, remove external monitor, remove ac and plug everything back on "except external monitor" nothing should be hooked up to the vga not even the cable by itself

start the laptop and after few seconds press FN key along with the monitor output key "f5, f8, f4 depends...)

katrisaf

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

Thanks, but I think I'm going to give up on this laptop and get an HP, Asus, or Acer; hopefully, HP has fixed the problem with laptops not booting up on occassion.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
it could be the socket on the motherboard, if it has pins makesure they're not bent all the way or broken it happens sometimes when the cable wont go in first time then you force it then it bends, its defently the connection on the board, if the inverter didnt work you'll still get some display without backlight.

bikerbob

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
i replaced a cracked screen and it worked for a couple hrs than went out. thought i had a bad one and was sent a replacement but same thing so i put a new inverter in. still no backlight but screen does works as you can see it with a flashlight. only thing i can think of is the cable from the board to the inverter. i cant find the cable anywhere to replace it to find out if that is it.. might be your problem too unless you dont have the screen working at all which you didnt say if it was just the light or not.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
yes you're doing well sofar, change the cable and see what happens.
ebay.com
search for the model number on the cable, or if your laptop is for example "sony"
type "sony screen cable" look at all the screen cables on ebay and maybe one from anoher model matches yours

bikerbob

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
thought i had a cable that would work but the company said that number i had isnt listed for my model nr. but its the cable that came with it. still looking. might have to call toshiba on this one.

bikerbob

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
just replaced the cable and same thing. cked pins on board and they are fine. dont know where to go from here as all been replaced. hate to think its the mb when everything works great except the backlight.also works ok on ext monitor.

G

hi i think i hav found teanswer it is the ribben hay become faulty and do not alow the monior to work but thy all work fine on an external monitor have hadsam prob hope this helps thanks wendy