Dell 1501 Restore

noms

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi there,

The Dell 1501 I bought for my daughter 2 years ago has developed some wierd issues lately.

I guess it is time to restore it to the original factory software. I cannot remember whether it came with a XP restore CD. Would anyone know how to obtain the restore CD just in case restoring from the hidden partition fails? The 1501 has to travel hundreds of miles to get to me so that I would like to make sure I have all I need to fix it.

It looks like I can only talk to Dell when the laptop is under warranty but unfortunately it has expired.

For my HP desktops I could order restore CDs for a small charge. Would Dell have a similar service?

BTW, the wierd problems are:

1. all the USB ports stop working under windows, but they work when booted up from a linux based system rescue CD.

2. typing is very slow on any window including notepad, when we still have lots of CPU and RAM. However it is OK under safe mode or linux. It may have something to do with the address book. My daughter cleaned it up, it worked but became slow again after a few days.

Virus scan did not find anything.

Any help would be apprepriated.

Solution
You don't need to spend any money to get the notebook working like new, if you're willing to put in a little extra work.

Go to Dell's website and download all the drivers you'll need for the machine under XP. Then you can use an OEM XP disk that you can download via torrent to reinstall your OS. Use the CD key that came with the notebook. Install your drivers and - your machine is like new (and likely working faster than it would if you had used a recovery disk).

The problems you describe you've tested to be software-related. Reinstalling the OS should solve them.

frozenlead

Distinguished
You don't need to spend any money to get the notebook working like new, if you're willing to put in a little extra work.

Go to Dell's website and download all the drivers you'll need for the machine under XP. Then you can use an OEM XP disk that you can download via torrent to reinstall your OS. Use the CD key that came with the notebook. Install your drivers and - your machine is like new (and likely working faster than it would if you had used a recovery disk).

The problems you describe you've tested to be software-related. Reinstalling the OS should solve them.

Solution

noms

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

Thanks, I'll try that if necessary.