Picking up radio station signal through my speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blah DTMM

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
So I recently noticed that my computer speakers are picking up some religious radio station and it is becoming increasingly annoying. It is fairly faint but still noticeable unless I am listening to music at the same time. I have tried repositioning the speakers, moving the cords around but still I continue to hear this radio station. My speakers aren't exactly expensive and high end but they aren't cheap and crappy. They are the logitech x240 speakers. How can I get rid of this? Or am I going to have to buy better speakers? I don't really want to go that route just yet.

G

I have been having the same problem with my logitech x-530 speakers, its very irratible but can only be heard when the volume is down on the speakers; though when turned up they produce white noise.. only bought them yesterday so they couldnt have broke; help!!

bizzy335

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I have been having the same problem. I have tried many suggestions in different forums but nothing worked. Today I ran the Abexo free registry cleaner for another issue and surprise, surprise the radio problem in my speakers has stopped. I can only guess that it removed whatever was doing it from my registry. Hope this helps!!!

uncle_ben

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
so ... that registry cleaner helped avoiding interference with a religious radio station, allright...
Would it flash the toilet and walk my dog too, do you think?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Try to remove any connection to the computer and connect your speaker to and MP3 player. It would be more likely that the PC has the issue and not the speaker.

Another is to move the speaker wires and the Sub away from any power line and away from a TV/Monitor. Try unplugging the sub power for two days (clearing any voltage reside on the capacitors).

I'm 90 percent sure that the problem comes from the PC, speaker wires and connections, not the speakers or the speaker amplifier.

ItsMyTurn00

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I have been reading the posts on this site about speakers picking up radio stations. However, as far as I can tell, they are all about external speakers. I have an HP Pavilion dv9610us with Vista Home Premium that I purchased around 16 months ago (I don't know if any of that matters but just in case...) Yesterday I started hearing a radio station. Today I realized it was coming from my computer speakers. It doesn't matter how low or high I have the volume, or even if it is on mute its faint but is still there.
Also, I don't know if this is related to this issue or not but, when I turned my computer on this morning, there was no speaker icon in the notification area. I tried the fixes in the help sectionI and they did nothing. I actually had to disable all 3 sets of speakers I have registered on the computer and then enable the internal speakers alone in order to get the icon back up there and working again....Any thoughts?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You can enable the speaker icon back thru Control Panel/Sound. As far as the station pickup, Completely shutdown PC and any unit connected to it. unplug all power cord. for at least a whole day to discharge any charge components.

Matthew596

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Wow this is weird. I am having the same problem and it seems to be the SAME religious radio station you are hearing... My speakers aren't even connected to a computer, but an external monitor playing audio for a ps3. I don't have the problem using the speakers with my laptop, same location just changing what the speakers are connected too.

I thought this was weird to begin with but its so strange that we are both getting to same religious radio station?? any explanations?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
PS3 is connected to monitor is a specific none office application computer that your speakers is connected to. Aside from its usages, there's really no difference to you PC or Laptop.

As far as the religious station, it's probably low bandwidth signals that carried through your internet connections. So it’s easy to say, a bad combination of equipment can produce such interference. To minimize the interference is to use filters and/or remove the transformers and the unit with battery.

This is why company like Monster created filtered power protection unit.

http://www.monstercable.com/power/Monster_Power.asp

robbieb73

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Hi - I've got these same speakers and am experiencing the same exact problems - especially at night. Faint religious station coming thru. My old speakers (cyberacoustics) never did them and they had a subwoofer attached to them as well. Is it possible it's an isolated issue with the Logitech set? Though I could never find anything in their forums suggesting so.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
The problem is not the speakers but the component and designed use with the amplifiers, to cut cost the amplifier have to be simple and not really that filtered.

Try unplugging the audio source and try increasing the volume if you can hear any beside from hiss. Then try to connect an MP3 player then check if the voices still exist.

Most common problem on these occurrences is when audio system is connected to computers. With all the things that computers have; the "Switching Power Supply" is the biggest contributor with this anomaly.

Most poeple don't know that the most crucial component on any electronics is power supply.

To reduce this interference you need to:
Re-locate audio wires away from power line – separate power line from anything else
Use ferrite if possible – it may not fix your problem but one less thing from your check list
Avoid too many tangled wires – use tie wraps for long wires
Use a good UPS if you can but basic UPS is better than nothing - more features like surge, auto voltage and regulator, auto shutdown, power filtering protection, etc of course is better

Know how RFI/EMI works, it'll helps you understand how your electronic devices affect each others.

G

hi all, I also have logitech speakers and am also getting some sort of Indian/muslim radio station through. how freaky is this lol !?

Fenn

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I recently moved, and while hooking up my computer I noticed a buzzing and a local radio station coming in through my Labtec subwoofer. This subwoofer is rather ancient, but I have never had this problem before in the past two places I have lived.

The volume of the buzz and radio station does not depend on the volume or bass control on the subwoofer, and the signal persists when I unplug from the computer. If I change the location of the power supply, or move the cable running from supply to subwoofer, the volume of the buzz and radio signal varies. I originally had the power supply plugged into a surge protector, and tried moving it directly to the wall. This did not change anything.

My guess is that the power supply and cord are acting like an antenna, picking up the radio waves directly from the air. I don't think it's coming from the wiring in this place, since the effect varies when I move the power supply or cable.

I will look into shielding the power supply and cable, in case it is acting as an antenna. If I have any success, I'll post again.

futuresmkt

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I have an old tv downstairs which is connected to a comcast cable box (analog and now digital/HD). Whether the tv is connected to the box or not, I receive radio stations! I believe I get more than one station at different times but cant swear to it. My computer is upstairs and recently, I have begun receiving radio stations through my "inland"spkers(very inexpensive).
I'm no electrical engr but it seems a lack of shielding coupled with increased electromagnetic amplitude may create this situation. With the TV, it has been going on for well over a year. With the computer, within the last couple of months. Its interesting that so many people have recognized this proplem. Is there a geographic commonality? Physical feature? I'm sure there is a simple explanation.

registeredtomakeonereply

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hello there. I started to pick muslin or religious radio today (I live in Portugal btw - very far away from any of those countries). My speakers are the Logitech X-530 and they pick radio when the volume is down only and turned on and when connected to my Pc (never tried connecting to any other source to see if it picks up radio). This set also does a humming or buzzing noise when it is turned off but plugged to the wall. The sound comes from the sub-woofer and I can't sleep with it at night. I must plug it off the wall everyday.

Why isn't there an option to reply as a guest? There's so many ways to prevent automatic flood posting. I'm amazed to see a site like this one hasn't got a reply as a guest. It makes people to go through the hassle of registering and what a drag this is! Most of the time I just close the tab and move along and sometimes with a solution to what's been asked. Can you imagine if all of the time we wanted to make a reply we had to register every single site?? The amount of time it costs and the email full of junk plus remembering the passwords and usernames etc. You may delete this if you want and my account too but I bet many people right now coming from a google result thinks like me and it's not going through the register hassle just to make a reply or provide a solution. Just reads and moves along and no one will ever know what he wanted to say about "Picking up radio station signal through my speakers". Maybe he would say "I'm the one behind all of that but "Hey do I need to register to reply?!?!?! HELL NOT! Where's that close tab button?... brr registering gives me the creeps!"

G

Wow, you guys are all something special. Speakers are built using electromagnets. The frequencies produced cause the magnets to attract the radio frequencies and produce them back. That's why you're hearing radio signals. I just changed your lives...

G

Well, if what you claim is true, you have not only changed lives but the laws of physics.

G

Magnets don't attract radio frequencies...the reason you can hear the radio is because A) you bought a cheap speaker B) all consumer electronics are unbalanced wiring, therefore there is no protection against any RF noise...and if you don't know already, our planet is buzzing with radio frequencies. C) Try using a power strip with a Ground on it...Alot of noise is generated by faulty ground...It's possible you live in an old house with frail wiring.

G

I have the exact same problem. A conservative Christian radio station comes on at 7am CT on my computer speakers and shuts down sometime during the night. It seems to be about 20% as loud as anything I try to play through my computer and is very noticeable when the volume is up and I'm not playing anything. These people have some nerve tuning their broadcasts to to match the frequency of US power outlets. A very underhanded way of gaining additional viewers.

G

Thought I'd mention that I also have Logitech. Mine are X-240. Has anyone identified the religious station's frequency?

Status
Not open for further replies.