Solved! PC gaming on hdtv w/120hz or 600hz

Earl P

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I'm simply curious if I were to hook my pc up to either a 120hz lcd or a 600hz plasma that I would be able to set that refresh rate within windows or wether I would be stuck at 60hz and the tv itself would fill the frames. I'm just kind of thinking that if you had a beefy enough system that could say run like crysis at 75+ fps, then you could actually utilize the function of 120hz or more. I'd much rather have my pc filling frames than have the tv's processor just blending the frames it receives together, then it would have no real display advantages over a ps3 imo. I do have to say that playing quake3 at 100+ fps with a crt set at 120hz was pretty damn nice, though that can be like comparing apples to cows.

Solution
I cannot say how good or bad a 600Hz plasma HDTV is in general or what that 600Hz means since I was never attracted to plasmas. However, I can help you out with a LCD HDTV.

Basically you do not want the LCD HDTV to be in 120Hz mode while gaming because that will create input lag. You want look for a model that allows you to switch back to 60Hz mode.

120Hz and 240Hz LCD monitors basically inserts interpolated frames in between the actual frames they receive from the source, like your video card, to "improve image quality" . So a 120Hz LCD HDTV receives frames 1 and 2 from your PC, the internal video processor compares frames 1 and 2, then creates an interpolate frame 1.5 based on the difference between the two frames and then inserts...
I cannot say how good or bad a 600Hz plasma HDTV is in general or what that 600Hz means since I was never attracted to plasmas. However, I can help you out with a LCD HDTV.

Basically you do not want the LCD HDTV to be in 120Hz mode while gaming because that will create input lag. You want look for a model that allows you to switch back to 60Hz mode.

120Hz and 240Hz LCD monitors basically inserts interpolated frames in between the actual frames they receive from the source, like your video card, to "improve image quality" . So a 120Hz LCD HDTV receives frames 1 and 2 from your PC, the internal video processor compares frames 1 and 2, then creates an interpolate frame 1.5 based on the difference between the two frames and then inserts the frame. When the HDTV receives frame 3, it will then look at the difference between frames 2 and 3, then inserts frame 2.5, so on and so forth.

120Hz LCD PC monitors are different from 120Hz LCD HDTVs. A 120Hz LCD PC monitor requires two 60Hz signals from 1 or 2 video cards (DVI-D ports). Basically each 60Hz signal draws half the screen.

Solution

SRS13Rastus1701E

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

Bit late to reply but I've only just begun to think about monitor upgrades and was asking myself this exact question, gotta say thanks for the best explanation of the pro's and cons of the huge HDTV vs big 120hz monitor debate and making it make sense been lookin for days till I found this :)