Vista Ultimate
4 gb ddr2 ram
AMD athlon x64 duel core processor
ATI x1200 embedded graphics
Asus M2A-VM HDMI motherboard
Sony Blue Ray DVDrom
Power DVD 9
AnyDVD HD

i am using my plasma display Panasonic TH42PWD6 this is a faily old display so i am using the VGA PC input.

i have no problems until i put a BlueRay disc in. i can watch the adverts then as soon as the main feature menu loads it shuts down Power DVD. i have updated all drivers and firmware but have now run out of options and wondered if anybody could shed some light on this for me?

thanks

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
What model CPU do you have? I thought that you can't play Blu-ray over VGA since it is not HDCP compliant.

jayk69

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Black Edition 5000+ 2.6GHZ
i use AnyDVD which sorts out the HDCP my plasma is not a TV it is a display and will/should accept any signal that is my understanding. plus all the adverts and trailers are blueray and i can watch those?

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I'm pretty sure even though you have AnyDVD with the HDCP problem, the Blu-ray won't play over VGA. Have you another monitor or HDTV with HDMI/DVI to try?

jayk69

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
oh if that is the case why can i watch the trailers and previews?
i do have a hdtv but its small i will have a go with that to confirm
and take it from there

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
VGA can accept Blue-ray, you need to call cyber link about this issue. You maybe watching a recent release movies and that it require some updates, if not for one then both player software update and hardware firmware.

I rented a movie Valkyrie last night and I have the same problem. I am using WinDVD but don't have AnyDVD so I'm not sure if that’s my issue but WinDVD advice me to update my player but didn't say if hardware of software. My WinDVD is up-to-date so there may be new security implemented to the disc.

I end up playing mine on none PC base player. I also tried playing on the PS3 and it works but the PS3 was updated a day before to 2.76 so I don't know if it's a new software update or a firmware update the required.

Anybody find a solution, keep us posted will you? Thanks.

jayk69

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Just an update.
have now installed HDFury (Which is awsome)
anyhow has not fixed the problem the film is Hancock and it still plays all the adverts right up to the feature and then stops and closes the player. all other DVD's including HDDVD play perfectly.
i downloaded the compatibility tool from from cyber link and it does not recognise my ATI X1200 embedded graphics card. (Which has HDMI out) so i am a little stumped for now. any auggestions would be welcome as i have updated all software/drivers and firmware.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I thought only ATI cards (HD2000-HD3000 up) can have DXVA and HDCP. I don't know about your X1200.

EDIT: I see that the X1200 does support Blu-ray but i still don't know about HDCP. You could try to get a cheap card for 30.00+ HD 3450 and see if it works? But you'll still run it over VGA, which really is a bummer since I almost had a similar problem. Are you sure your TV doesn't have any HDMI inputs?

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Yeah, for HTPC I try to get ATI GPUs that are HD2k/HD3k and up. Since they fully support high resolutions 1080p and UVD. You might want to give that a try.

jayk69

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Right the last thing in the chain i have brought a Nvida Gainward 9400GT 1GB DDR2
lets see if this fixes it!! if it does not then i give up!!

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Yep try that 9400GT I heard its a good HTPC anyways. Try the MPC-HC tutorial
nunnally.ahmygoddess.net/watching-h264-videos-using-dxva/

jayk69

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Right i installed a Nvida Gainward 9400GT 1GB DDR2 and this has cured the problem my system now plays Blue Ray in full 1080p. The most amazing thing is the Panel i have is not HD and was never produced HD. Though when you look through the manual it has always had the capacity to display it just never had the inputs.
so to upgrade to Blue Ray has cost me less than a £100. Graphics Cars and HDFury.
so i can now enjoy Full HD without changing my perfectly good plasma display.
I appreciate it may not be as good as some of the new technology but the difference is amazing crystal clear pictures and razor sharp images with amazing colour definition and no bleeding what so ever. and blacks i never thought possible on this display, bear in mind i have owned this panel for 8 years!!! and i have never seen movies this crisp.
any way thanks to those who helped i hope this saves people a few quid too.

newmbf

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Sorry to jump on the back of this - complete novice here - I have a Panasonic TH42PWD6 too, and I have been given a Blu-Ray player along with the HDMI cable but there is nowhere to plug it in to - please advise?
I'm hoping I won' t need to upgrade my monitor.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Panasonic TH-42PWD6 Product Details*

Features:

•852 x 480 display resolution, 1.08 mm dot pitch
•4,000:1 contrast ratio, 16:9 aspect ratio
•Wide 160-degree horizontal and vertical viewing angles
•Can be stacked and tiled, ideal for large venues
•Accepts PC, composite, component RGB, S-video inputs

You need atleast 720 to view hi-def, unfortunately your tv is limited to 480 which is standard definition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard-definition_television

The best resolution you get from that tv is if you use the component RGB connection, one with red,green and blue or also called colorstream. Once your bluray is connected, DO NOT set bluray anything higher than 480i or 480p or else you will get black screen. But if you want hi-def then no ther way but replace the TV.

jayk69

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
HI newmbf,

You need HDFury go to there website http://www.hdfury.com/ get it and plug it into the VGA (PC Input) you plug in your HDMI cable to it and hey presto full 1080I
i have not looked back and the screen is capable of displaying 1080 it tells you that in the instruction manual. when these screens were made BlueRay & HD was unheard of.

Rexter,

I can assure you i am getting full 1080i from my display and the instruction manual lists 1080 as it's max resolution. remember this is not a TV it is a display panal.

Cheers